Daughter dealing with the loss of a pet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole

Reaction score
My little girl is only 3 and not sure how we can help her with the loss of her best freind.

I try and explain to her that jody is gone and he is now with God. But she asks steady about him and why he is gone, and will he come back.

I am having a hard time dealing with his loss myself, but I am staying strong for her.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Nicole

Nicole,

I can't really help, as I haven't learned that lesson yet and I'm 62 years old. I cry and grieve when I sell a horse!! Have you read the rainbow bridge poem to her yet? She may not understand it at only 3, don't know. But as far as helping her understand her loss, I still don't understand them :no:

Pam

Below are several Pet Loss Support Hotlines; I am sure that they would have some great advice on how to help your daughter:

Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine. 1-970-221-4535.

Cornell (vet school) Pet Loss: 1-607-253-3932

(You may get a message asking you to leave your name and number, and they will return your call within 24 hours.)

UC Davis (I assume the vet school): 1-916-752-4200

The College of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University also has a pet loss support hotline, as well as a pet loss support group that meets once a month.

http://cvm.msu.edu/petloss/index.htm

Best wishes,

Liz R.

Hi Nicole... I am so sorry. It is just as hurtful watching your little one going through the grieving process as it is losing our pets. My youngest daughter is very sensitive as well. In the past when we have lost our pets I have found out just talking about it helps them. Listening to her and answering her Q's is her healing. Maybe a bit down the road you might work on a memory scrap book or poster with her...this is also a good time to bring up good/happy memories of your pet. This has always helped my kids....me too.

I"m not advising you to do what I did when my kids were that little, but I did stick with the truth when they lost pets; cats, turtles, fish, the bird, etc. I never lied to them about death.

I explained as easy as possible and said they were gone and not coming back because they died went to heaven. Nothing complicated, just that they were ok now again and nothing hurts anymore.

I would find a box, line it with tissue paper and let them see their pet laying in there, or atleast know the pet was in the box.

I dug the hole and set the box in it. And covered it up with dirt.

We had funerals in the yard all the time and pretty much made a big deal out of it. We each took turns and would say something nice about the pet that we loved over the grave. They would help in making a cross and writing the pet's name on it to place on the grave and everyone would get to say goodbye. We picked flowers, the whole thing and it was a big send off. We discussed about the big "ocean in heaven" for instance where the fish would be happy again and live.

I never did run right out and try to replace whatever was lost though.

There was usually a good period of waiting if I were to try to replace the lost one and I wanted them to understand that pets are not that "replaceable" in our hearts for better lack of the word, but I think you know what I mean.

I feel doing it this way, the kids realized that it wouldn't come back anymore, and by doing it like this, it did help when they lost their great-aunt, and grandmother and uncle.

Shoot hon, wish I had an answer! I still cry over ones that I lost years ago, and I'm 12X's her age! Poor thing
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back