Darla's official foaling thread.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She has been up and down alot since i started watching. just now she was pawing her bedding... very interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quicky as I am in the car. I am very glad to se Darla improving, she seems a little more mobile. I am off to take my Dad to the airport.

Darla is down resting.

See ya all soon

no worries Renee!! hope your Dad has a good flight back home!! I'm sure you loved having him there wiith you!!
default_biggrin.png
Bye Dad!
default_saludando.gif
lol

well she is very stretched out, n uncomfy worth watching, but she has tricked us before LOL

praying for your dad a safe flight renee!!! everytime i start thinking it is safe to go back to bed she does something interesting... come on D...make up your mind girl!

gonna restart the cam real quick..be right back!

Still watching her whilst on the motoway.

I find it strange that her pain seems to get worse at night and mid morning!

So funny at 2.14 am,,she was having a scratch and wobbled the chickens off there roosting spot
default_laugh.png
meany..oh one hung on and refused to move..she does still look very sore on her hooves bless her hope they get better soon

shes having another go now at shaking the other chicken off
default_laugh.png

default_saludando.gif
Hi all just got home from work no babys yet a see........what has darla got on her feet i most of missed some thing whats wrong with darlas feet

I'm glad you managed to get the vet to call in Jess, it always helps for the vet to 'meet' a mare before foaling, to get a general picture and to have a chat with the owner.
default_yes.gif

I know you said the 'blood for coggins', but will he be checking it for any other possible 'problems' as in a higher than normal white blood count etc?

Also I'm a little suprised that he put down her discharge and milk running as probable labour indications when Darla has been showing these 'symptoms' since very shortly after you got her. It may well be that they are of no consequence, but Darla simply cannot have been showing indications of labour for that length of time?

May I suggest that first thing Monday morning you contact the vet's office again and ask them to hurry through the blood tests, then if they come back clear for any bacterial/viral infections, then perhaps testing a urine sample and taking a swab of the discharge might be the next step.

I am not suggesting that anything is wrong with Darla - her 'behaviour' over the last few weeks may just be how she is when in the latter stages of pregnancy, but for her sake I would be leaving no stone unturned in trying to find out what is causing her symptoms or alternatively, getting complete and totally satifactory 'results' to show that, how she is behaving, is completely normal for her.
default_yes.gif

If the vet's office now has Darla up on cam for occasional viewing, then maybe someone there will spot something 'unusual' in her behaviour and will offer some suggestions?

Really hoping that Darla produces her little baby soon and so gets some relief from her troubling symptoms, bless her.
default_yes.gif

Well Jess, I got up in the wee hours for a few minutes and checked on a few girls and your little one was standing and looked like she had more weight on her front legs than she usually does...she was walking more than I have seen her in the past.

Looks like shes outside enjoying some fresh air. Im on my way to give a few baths this AM and do a few bridle paths.

hey, you know me...Im in no position to ask for photos but if you have time...i would love to see how your vet put on her diaper shoes...maybe a couple close ups. I have an idea how its done but would be interrested in how the vet has you do it.Just in case one of my knuckle heads needs something like it. Thanks and will check back later on Darla. Enjoy your day.
default_saludando.gif

I was about to post the same. Hope everything is ok.

Sorry everyone...i threw the breaker to shut off the fountain in my goldfish pond so that i could clean it and apparently it shut off the camera too! Heidi i plan to bath Darla today too! The vet didnt use a diaper, he used some kind of sponge thing, but he said that a diaper would be better when i redo it today. I will take pics of the current wraps and of the one that i attempt! He told me to basically turn it inside out and put the absorbent part next to her hoof with the diaper doubled for extra padding. Oops...she just came in looking for water..she likes that bucket better than the big one outside! I didnt put it back in her stall yet! Better go do that!

hubby is doing it...that bucket is heavy! anyways...what i was saying was he told me to make sure that the diaper comes up enough to cover her heel bulbs too then wrap it with elasticon. (sp?) He wants me to change it today, just to check it then after that only every 2-3days.

Darla really looks like a full size horse due to the cam angle then you come in Jess with your long legs and you look like a giant
new_rofl.gif

Darla really didn't want to go out
nono.gif

LOL...i think that is the first time in my 5ft tall life i have been called long legged!!! Diapering horse feet is not much fun. they arent pretty but they are on there. Size newborn fits great. I left her in my yard to dry for a bit and she was belly biting and booty scratching on the fence. I always use mane and tail, but this time i got cowboy magic shampoo and i LOVED it! She was so shiny and soft! And it rinses really well! I use aussie 3 minute miracle on her mane and tail and that really makes it nice and soft too. Her tail head looks more prominent this afternoon and her booty muscles seem to have dropped some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back