Danger to minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperhill

Reaction score
I'm sure this topic will bring forth some strong feelings for some, but I really feel that this information should get out there.

I went to purchase a quarter horse and while there it came up in conversation that I raised minis. The comment was made that "my relative has some that he would really like to get rid of as he "inherited" them in a bizarre situation". So we went to look. There were 5 or 6 minis there. Some were in a dry lot pen with hay, and some were staked out in the tall grass on those dog tie out cables, eating "crop circles". Most looked just fine.

But this story is about one in particular. It was a 35", 15 year old mare that had just foaled "a week or so" ago. This mare was completely unable to move or walk on one of her front legs, and the shoulder was obviously broken or dislocated. She was in amazing pain. The owner said he had no idea how she got like that, but he wasn't going to take steps to correct it, he was just going to put her down and bottle raise the baby. When I explained how much work it is to bottle raise a very young mini baby properly he said he was just keeping the mare alive long enough to raise the baby and then put her down. I mention again, she was in amazing pain. I bought the mare and her baby and brought them home.

A thorough physical assessment showed deep cuts just above the hoof on the back of both back legs, a dislocated right shoulder with a bone chip, and a deep cut just below the back of the knee on the left front leg. There appeared to be an old cut on the inside of that same knee with some dried skin sticking out, but to my horror, it turned out that the skin was all dead and sloughing off! She lost all the skin down to the muscle on a 10" section of that front leg. The tissue was horribly hot and infected and she had a temp of over 104. I have no idea how that poor mare was standing on those two mangled front legs.

The injuries told the real story. The guy was used to putting the horses out on their tie-outs every day and then going to work. He said at night he put them all in the pen. The next day he would rotate who he put out so they could all have some green grass. Apparently this system had been working well for months. He must have been totally unaware of the fact that when foals start getting up and moving around, their ever vigilant mothers have to do some fancy footwork to keep up with them.

Although he wouldn't admit it, he put that mare out on a tie out cable and went to work. What happened is that as that foal started scamping around, the mother started spinning around trying to keep an eye on her baby. She spun that tie out cable so tightly around that front knee and it stayed that way for so long, that it killed the tissue up and down that knee. There were indentation lines clearly visible in the tissue. Not to mention the deep cuts and more shallow rope burns on the rest of her legs. Finally, tangled up and struggling, she managed to dislocate and break her final good leg!

At this point, the fever is down, and the tissue is healing. The problem is the dislocation. It had been out for several days before I saw her so putting it back in was a nightmare! It is currently in place, but it may not stay because of all the muscles being stretched out so badly. She may still have to be put down. It is not possible to spend thousands of dollars on surgery for a rescued pasture pet. The whole thing is just a disaster.

I am not here to cast judgment on people who use tie-out cables on their minis or push my opinion on the public. I just wanted those folks that use them to be aware of just how bad the damage can be and never, ever, leave a horse on a tie-out unattended! This whole tragedy could have been avoided.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_crybaby.gif
Bless you for giving her the love she needs now.

Sad update. Vet can't get leg to stay in place. It is very difficult to get it back into joint without breaking it and then before she is even awake from the anesthesia it pops back out again. He tried twice and within half an hour both times it slipped back out. She will probably have to be put down.

no.gif
I applaude you for trying to make a difference in this mare's life. I will pray for her she. a tragic situation . Bless you..and that guy should be staked out and left! he is an idiot

What an awful story - that poor mare! Well done you for taking her home and trying to do something for her.

I have to admit that I couldn't graze any horse by staking it out, although I do know folk who do it very successsfully, but I am even ultra careful when leading a mare on a lead rope with her foal running loose around her - seen too many foals make a dash between a mare and a leader and get its neck snapped back by running into the rope!

Wishing you all the very best with the little mare, if she has to be put down then at least you gave her a chance and some loving care at the end of her days.

Anna

Bless you for doing all you can for this poor mare and her foal!!
default_aktion033.gif
So many people would have looked the other way:No-Sad. Many years ago we had someone here in our tie out several larger ponies. They were tied with lightweight chains attacked to things like old, dead cars and large tractor tires... basically a bunch of junk these people had out in a field. One ended up getting tangled and another ended up dragging a tire out into the highway... where she got hit. Just horrible.
default_no.gif

Oh that is just sick. Im so sorry to hear about this poor mare.
default_no.gif

That poor mare--thank you for taking her in & trying to fix her up, and thank you for posting this.

I know people who stake their horses out. They will all insist that it is safe and they've never had a problem. It's one of those things--it's no problem until one day it IS a problem, and the horse ends up seriously injured.

I can't tell you how many horses I've known through the years that ended up seriously injured by being staked out. Just a couple examples--one mare that had a hind leg very badly rope burned from above the hock to below the hock--all the skin was peeled off--it was a terrible mess! A few days after the injury occurred the owner started tying the mare out again...didn't do much for the mare otherwise. Anyone that's ever had a rope burn on a hand will know how painful rope burns are...

A mid size pony that had been on stake out every day of the summer for years one day got spooked by something, hit the end of his tie rope & broke his neck...owners had no idea what set him off because no one was home. May have been a thunderstorm that went through that afternoon. Pony was pretty quiet & bombproof, so no one would have expected him to get scared of something & kill himself that way...

I've seen horses staked out with cotton rope, nylon rope, chain....know someone who was told to put a rope through a garden hose so that the horse couldn't hurt itself on the rope. Guess what? Her horse got tangled up in the hose covered rope & still managed to seriously rope burn his pastern--she then realized why it was that I had suggested that staking her horse out wasn't really something she should do. She had quite a time getting that horse's leg healed up.

People say it's safer to tie the horse by a front ankle rather than by his head--not so, horses can still seriously injure themselves when staked out by an ankle rope...

I'm so sorry that things are looking so grim for this mare. she is lucky to have you to do what is best for her, and the foal is lucky to have you to care for him.

I am sad that the seller still has so many other horses that he is keeping this way!!

So Sorry you have to go thru that. You did the best you could with the mare. It makes me so upset when I see a staked out horse. So many things could go wrong.

Bless you for taking them in.

Im just so glad that there are still good people like you that will step in and help an animal in need and I know you will give her and baby every chance , Thankyou

A friend of mine had a mare break her shoulder and could not get to stay in (he got IMMEDIATE vet help and it was a freak accident, not a tie out situation at all!) , but the mare survived and formed a false joint and was able to live pain free for many years, even foaling several times.

Hopefully if you can get her past the pain stage she can have a similar outcome.

I've seen lots of people putting horses out with halters on and I cringe! Bad things can happen so quickly! A horse could hurt itself in a completely padded stall!!

God bless you for taking this on - you are an angel in human clothing! Best of luck to all three of you!

It can be made much safer by putting the line through 15 feet of old garden hose at the end that ataches to the horse. Just knot it at either end to keep in place...the rope cannot wrap around the legs that way.

I know of one mare that suffered a broken shoulder that recovered, but she was on stall rest for a very long time. Don't know if that would help this mare or not. Poor dear thing.

Bless you! I am praying for the mare that she will pull it trough!

What a sad, and TOTALLY preventable, situation. I'm so sorry for the extensive pain this mare must be in. Bless you, bless you for getting her out of there. You will know what is best.

Prayers to you, the mare and the baby.

pepperhill said:
Sad update. Vet can't get leg to stay in place. It is very difficult to get it back into joint without breaking it and then before she is even awake from the anesthesia it pops back out again. He tried twice and within half an hour both times it slipped back out. She will probably have to be put down.
Bless you for taking this girl and caring for her but how is it possible to dislocate a bone that is not connected to the body by a joint? The thorax is slung between the front legs by a system of ligaments, muscles and tendons. There is no shoulder joint in a horse.

Leia

It can be made much safer by putting the line through 15 feet of old garden hose at the end that ataches to the horse. Just knot it at either end to keep in place...the rope cannot wrap around the legs that way.
I guess you didn't read my earlier post--that's the very thing that someone told my friend--who promptly did as instructed with the garden hose and within a few days had a horse with a serious burn to one front leg. No, she didn't do it wrong--when she found the horse he was tangled up in the hose-covered rope. When she freed him, there was the burn on one pastern. Not surprising since you can get friction burns from more than just rope, and a hore can still get hooked around a leg.

Leia--it is possible for a horse to dislocate its shoulder. It's rare, but it happens. It is usually caused by a hard fall on the point of shoulder, or by excessive flexion of the shoulder and elbow joint which pushes the head of the humerous forward and upward out of the socket in the scapula. That explanation is courtesy of my vet book from Equine Research--thankfully I have no personal experience with dislocated shoulder!!

What a heartbreak. I hate seeing horses staked out, always seems like a wreck waiting to happen. Can't imagine a mare with foal staked out....
default_wacko.png
You have done well rescuing them, no matter what happens with her she's at least being taken care of now and not left to stand in pain.

Jan

You are a hero in my book.

Thank you for stepping up and doing what you could.

The world is a better place because of you.

What a kindness you performed for the mare and foal. It's amazing some of the things people do. Horses have the best ability of hurting themselves in amazing ways. I was talking to a vet about that after back to back leg injuries, and as she said you could put them in a padded room and they'd swallow their tongue.

Wish you the best for the mare.

Back