Dang dog!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]OK, so yesterday a basset hound shows up. I encouraged my dogs to do their jobs and chase it off, which they do...until it keeps coming back and they give up. It is very sweet, jumps all over me when I go outside to check, so OK, it can stay until it's nose takes it adventuring again. [/SIZE]

Mia and Steve go out to hunt this morning at daybreak, meaning all of the dogs have to come in the house...including the Basset Hound
default_rolleyes.gif
Thank goodness I put them in the mudroom, because he is NOT a house dog
default_unsure.png
When Mia came in he was all over her, jumping and playing.

So, I was folding laundry a little while ago and hear one of my chickens SCREAMING. Sure enough, he had one of the hens down. I chased him off and rolled the poor hen over. She's still alive and kind of walking around, so we'll see if she lives. The dog came right back across the yard after ANOTHER hen..now we have dog food out 24/7, so this was for fun, not from hunger. I wanted to GET the dog, but knew chasing him off again would do no good and he came happily to me when called, wagging his tail.

So, now he's in a wire travel kennel in the shed. It's COLD here, so I can't leave him there and he's going to have to be walked...great...
default_wacko.png
I put out a notice on some local yahoo groups and someone already wants him, but I asked if they would be willing to take him AND return him if the owner turns up. I just don't know what else to do
default_sad.png

Do you have a humane society in your area? You could let them know about the dog, incase the owner is looking.

Hate to think that someone dumped him.......
default_unsure.png

The nearest shelters are 20 miles west and 35 miles east. I will call though. Around here, people turn their hounds loose during deer season to flush the deer up towards the roads, where they can sit in comfort and (illegally) road hunt. There are ALWAYS beagles and other hounds all over this time of year and so many never make it home. If this guy had tags, we'd be OK, but no such luck. Steve found a dead chicken down in the hay barn too...grrrrrr...

Latest posts

Back