Daisy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been able to iodine anything :no: She tries to kill us when we go in there with her.. or if the baby tries to come to us at the fence. I'm sooo hoping she will calm down.
default_wacko.png
:

Oh My ? Mendy I don't know what to tell you about a fiesty Mom??
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I can't imagine?

Were you able to inspect the placenta??

was it intact? she could be b*tchy because of her retaining a bit and having "maybe"? an infection and not feeling good??

it is just a thought ..... I don't want to scare you, just something to think about

**try to bond with that baby the best you can .... you are going to have to work extra hard at since Mom is so nervous. I am sure others here have had a similiar problem and well throw in some ideas.

Don't give up on the baby....it is so natural for a newborn to be curious and NOT fear people...don't miss this chance ;)

Oh Mendy!

I know EXACTLY what's going on in your mind now. My momma donk wouldn't let us near the baby for THREE WEEKS. I can say that now, but at the time I was thinking, "obviously I shouldn't own donkeys as I don't know WHAT to do!!" "Was momma going to teach her to always be wary of people?" "What if one of them needs medical attention?" I couldn't iodine the navel either. I was sure she was going to die (but she's always been healthy as a horse!) due to my neglect. No joke, I even put momma and the baby up for sale on dreamhorse imploring someone who knew how to deal with mommas and babies to rescue me/us.

Good thing no one took me up on the offer, because something clicked at 3 weeks where momma let baby walk up to me and from there it was a giant love fest. I got baby haltered, checked her all over, got her used to me handling her all over (even her tiny little udder) and even got her picking up ALL of her feet. And all this took a grand total of 2 days. No kidding. I was so worried that she was ruined because I couldn't do all those new foal things I was supposed to be doing.

The bottom line is that once momma relaxes and lets the baby approach you, you will totally catch up with everything you missed, and it'll happen fast. I started taking a lawn chair out in their field and just read my book. Well, I think they were wrong when they said 'curiosity killed the cat' because surely donkeys are worse!

She's 14 months old now and we're having to re-learn leading as just lately she thinks she knows better than me, but just a couple days and she's walking nice again. I liken it to a little teenager pushing her boundaries a little.

Here's our little Daisy, obviously once we were able to handle her. She loves her 'dad'.

180760581.jpg

Here's some serious long legs like your boy (this was the day she was born, plus you can see she's standard size):

164930439.jpg

Jayne (that's her silly mug in my avatar too)

Back