Daily calls and messages...I'm TIRED of it!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeCFarm

Reaction score
I have been getting daily phone calls (computer recorded) and messages on my machine, sometimes live, sometimes the computer, from Citi Financial for someone I don't even know. This has been MY number for the last 4 years. I have spoken to someone twice now about it, telling them they have the wrong number, etc, but it hasn't stopped. I am TIRED of it. I just got a call from the computer again a few minutes ago. How can I make it stop, short of changing my phone number???
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

I hope you find out, then you can share with me. We get numerous calls about extended warranty on our vehicles. I have asked and asked them to put us on the do not call list and they keep calling. The really funny part is that every time they call it says this is our FINAL opportunity to take advantage of it. One time I actually talked to a person. I asked them how many final calls I could expect and they told me probably 20!

Picasso, I've started getting those on my cell phone, and I'd sure like to know how they got that number!!! I called them back one time and questioned them, asking which vehicle they were talking about, and she seemed stunned. She finally mumbled something about any vehicle I have between the years of such and such... Yeah, right. They call me about once a week.

We get them also. I screen my calls and just delete the messages, but somedays they leave two or three recorded by different people but the same message.

there is a way to block numbers with *67 on land lines, your wireless company can tell you how to do it for your cell phones.

If you are on the 'Federal DO NOT CALL LIST' they are not allowed to call you (warranty calls)and if you can get a phone number you can report them.

There was something on the local news about this a couple of weeks ago and they wanted people to turn in the numbers for these calls so the state could prosecute them.

I don't know if it would do any good to report Citi since they think they have a valid number but you could try. It seems to me this is harassment with that many calls even after you told them they had the wrong number.

When you get a live person on the line inform them that they have reached an incorrect number you have no business with them and to remove your number. You are putting them on notice and that the next time they call you will contact the Attorney General concerning harrasing phone calls by the company. The AG loves to hear about companies like this.

I just wrote a NEVERENDING SAGA about this.......I'll post it asap

We keep getting calls that tell us our credit card account is in serious trouble or something like that. Recording tells us to press a number to continue but we never have because I'm afraid if I do that is giving them permission to continue calling us. I don't have caller ID....................................Then there is this lady that keeps calling for Neal.We've told her at least a dozen times that there is NO Neal here and never has been. I told her today to PLEASE stop calling this number. She said bite one. Not sure what one is but I may not be so nice next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
1st report to FTC @ www.donotcall.gov....They complie a list & shorty then go after them with a costly fine!!!

In Colorado a man got tired of them, enlisted a lawyer, takes them to court resulting in a $10,000. fine PER CALL.

But he & the lawyer are also collecting plenty of extra cash for their own pockets at the same time.

He records the calls & then takes them to court.

The vendors seem to push it past the limit only figuring a few will actually complain & until people do they will continue to get away with this.

The FTC form only takes a minute to file online....

there is a way to block numbers with *67 on land lines, your wireless company can tell you how to do it for your cell phones.
nbark--*67 is for when you are calling someone & want to block your number so that it won't show up on the recipient's call display. That's how it works here, and I assume it's the same in the US. Makes no difference whether you're calling from a land line or a cell phone, you just dial *67 and then dial the number as usual. It doesn't help in blocking incoming calls though.

I've given up being polite to telephone solicitors. Sure they're just doing a job, but if they want people to be nice & polite to them then they should get a 'real' job...one where they don't have to be irritating PITA's to the rest of us!!

After I registered with the do not call list I started getting calls to my cell phone...fortunately, not many. One company switched from offering to sell a cruise to saying "answer our survey and win free boarding passes". They cannot solicit business via telemarketing calls, but they can do "research"...which is why they are now using a survey about cruises. The one day I decided to talk to a real person, so started punching numbers to answer their questions. About 2 or 3 questions into it they asked my age. For 18-21, press 1, for 22-29 press 2....so I figured if I pressed 9 that should be good for the age range of 99-201 or some such thing! I pressed 9 and lo & behold, that was the # for their internal 'do not call' list. So, I got my home phone registered on their internal list and it actually worked--no more calls regarding cruises! Woo hoo.

When the real research firms call with some survey or other, whatever age/gender/resident requirement they have for the person they wish to talk to I always say sorry, there's no one here in that age category. A Canadian resident who is over the age of 18 and uses the phone the most? Sorry, there are no Canadian residents here, nor is there anyone over the age of 18 and I'm afraid I cannot help you because we don't even have a telephone. Goodbye.
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

If I don't recognize the number I don't answer the phone. They can leave all the messages they want - that is what the delete button is for. I don't even listen to the message - just hit erase immediately - turn the volume down on the recorder and all is well.
default_smile.png

All three of us use our cell phones only and the land line exists for the DSL service and a fax machine. If a business insists on getting a phone number, I give them that one and what they get is a fax machine screaming in their ears. My direct tv has a caller id function as it is tired to that number as well. So, I can look and see who is trying to reach us.

So far, nothing on the cell phones other than a short stint of calls from Somalia at all hours of the day and night. I just assigned that phone number a ringer of nothing so it wouldn't even ring. That person did finally leave a voice mail, babbling on and on in his language and he sounded pretty angry. He finally went away.

I've been back in Missouri exactly 3 1/2 years now. I'm still getting phone calls for someone who used to have my phone number. They were weekly at the beginning but now seem to come mostly toward the end of the month. The only recommendation my phone company made was to change my number. I have to admit that I've gotten over being real polite when I get these calls. I very bluntly tell the caller that "this hasn't been so and so's number in well over 3 years. Please remove it from your files." The most irritating one that still persists is a recorded message that says "if this isn't so and so please hang up. If it is so and so please stay on the line." If I stay on the line it then says "by continuing this message you're confirming that you're so and so", so I hang up knowing full well that they'll call again.
default_frusty.gif
If it was a "live person" at least I could vent.

there is a way to block calls from numbers that you do not want to receive, sorry for the wrong one I gave earlier. Just spoke to Verizon, they have a nusance call hot line that you can call, in the east it is 800-518-5507. If you want to block certain phone calls it is *60, but you have to check to see if it is available in your area. This basically tells a person who calls, that is on your list, that you are not accepting phone calls from them. *60 does not work on businesses, so you have to call the nusance hot line and they will do this for you. It also does not work on cell phone numbers.

Hope this helps some of you out.

I have our cell phones as well as our two landlines on the national do not call list and I haven't gotten any solicitation calls at all.

When I get those cereal calls, that you cannot stop as they dont give a number to call back to stop them, I go ballistic and sound like a drunk sailor on a saturday night bender *-) The calls stop. Not lady like, but it saves my sanity LOL

There is a program I've used from my landline phone company and have made a list of numbers which I am able to block. Also they have a program called "Call Intercept" which lets the caller know you won't accept calls from them etc.... You'd need to check with your phone company to see if you have these services available to you. Nowadays I would think so. Good luck...those phone calls can certainly be annoying.

Sorry for my delay in responding, I'm out of state at a show right now.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!! I'm willing to try just about anything. I get a LOT of calls for the Bickerstaffs, who used to have our number. It isn't just from Citi Financial, but everyone else gets the idea when I tell them it has been MY number for years. Citi Financial just won't give up. At first, I ignored the messages, as I thought they'd quit calling. But they keep leaving messages on a daily basis, and it is to the point that I'm getting so irritated that I did call them twice explaining the situation. Sometimes they call multiple times in one day. They call anytime during the day, and the latest call I got was at 9 pm.

If nothings been done and you can speak to someone live, then I would ask for a manager. Explain the situation and pretty much demand you want these phone calls to stop. Ask for the managers name and a direct way to contact them personally. Tell them if you recieve another call you will be calling them personally until they stop! If they tell you they can't do anything for you, then demand that they find someone who can.

Back