Cuckle Burrs...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
show sheen/baby oil/WD40 --in that order

All 3 of those work wonderfully

Also, use a wide toothed comb and gloves and then work from the bottom

[SIZE=8pt]I just removed a couple this morning and used wd40. I separated the hairs by hand. Usually I can just work them out, but for some reason these were really tangled. Happened to have the wd40 out there, as I was spraying some gate latches and remembered it was a suggested method from previous posters. They were easy to remove.[/SIZE]

Cowboy Magic. Works like a charm and smells/feels better than WD 40.
default_smile.png

Jan

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/pop_prodimag...&id=0030437

Hope this link works. I used a dog grooming tool called a shedding comb on some of those burrs on a pony that looked like he was wearing rollers he was so covered in the things. The comb pulled them right out and left most of the mane too. Was easier than I expected so I am sharing. I started at the bottom and just worked them out. They didn't stick to the comb, pulled right off so we were rid of the things in no time. cheers.
default_rolleyes.gif
PS, works nice on my collie dog too, she got them in her skirts and this comb pulled them right out.

Those things are nasty!

I just saw a miniature horse that had them in their mane, tail, and forelock on a transport !

I could not believe anyone would send a horse to a buyer in that condition!
default_no.gif

I would have been very mad as a buyer to get a horse looking like that. Very upsetting to me. We do not have them here in California.

Coconut oil has been mentioned online to remove them. This is what I found:

Blank"To get rid of burs on your animals, use a mixture of half coconut oil and half a silicon based detangler (ask at a feed store). Mix together in a condiment bottle and squirt a dab on any burr. The oil will penetrate and the burr will fall out."

Latest posts

Back