Crossing the border...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering about shipping a horse from US to Canada, and what taxes one is required to pay to cross the border (ie percentages etc.)? Any help about crossing the border would be greatly appreciated, as this is the first time doing this for me. So if there is anything I need to worry about other than the international health certificate, Coggins report and taxes, please let me know!

Thank you!

Hi Nigel, You will need a current coggins on the horse withen the last 6 months. a usda paper and a bill of sale with the amount you payed for the horse. Then when you go from the U.S.to Canada they will want there three papers and you pay the tax which is based on the amount you payed for the horse. When we sell a horse we supply the coggins and the USDA papers. That depends on each seller if they want ot provide that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an article on my website, that explains all you need to know about crossing the border with a horse, you may want to read Nigel. You will be paying PST on the sale price of any horse you purchase in the States which, in our province, is 6%.

Nigel - congratulations on your purchase - I know who you bought!!!!! You will have fun in the show ring!!!!!

You will pay GST for sure (5%) and PST if applicable in your province (which I am sure it will be - as it is here in Saskatchewan). The tax is based on the Canadian value of the horse - so whatever you paid in US dollars will be converted to Canadian and then they will calculate tax. The unfortunate thing right now is that our dollar is quickly losing value - and therefore the tax you pay will be higher than it would have been a month or so ago. The alternative to that - if you paid for the horse a while ago - is to declare the Canadian value - and have proof of that with a copy of your US money order (if that is how you paid) - it may save you a few dollars.

The coggins (dated within 6 months) and the International Health Certificate are definitely needed - you will not be able to bring a horse across the line without them. And the bill of sale for sure. Other than that - it is easy - I have brought many horses up from the US - and only ever had trouble once (in B.C.). The customs people are usually pretty friendly - and are just doing their job - which is basically collecting the tax on purchases made outside Canada.

We are anxious to see photos!!!! Good luck in the show ring in 2009!!!!!

Nigel - congratulations on your purchase - I know who you bought!!!!! You will have fun in the show ring!!!!!
You will pay GST for sure (5%) and PST if applicable in your province (which I am sure it will be - as it is here in Saskatchewan). The tax is based on the Canadian value of the horse - so whatever you paid in US dollars will be converted to Canadian and then they will calculate tax. The unfortunate thing right now is that our dollar is quickly losing value - and therefore the tax you pay will be higher than it would have been a month or so ago. The alternative to that - if you paid for the horse a while ago - is to declare the Canadian value - and have proof of that with a copy of your US money order (if that is how you paid) - it may save you a few dollars.

The coggins (dated within 6 months) and the International Health Certificate are definitely needed - you will not be able to bring a horse across the line without them. And the bill of sale for sure. Other than that - it is easy - I have brought many horses up from the US - and only ever had trouble once (in B.C.). The customs people are usually pretty friendly - and are just doing their job - which is basically collecting the tax on purchases made outside Canada.

We are anxious to see photos!!!! Good luck in the show ring in 2009!!!!!
Thanks, I can't wait to get him up here...I'll post more details later on when I get him home
default_smile.png

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

I have an article on my website, that explains all you need to know about crossing the border with a horse, you may want to read Nigel. You will be paying PST on the sale price of any horse you purchase in the States which, in our province, is 6%.
Sorry Nigel - I didn't mean to lead you astray but PST in our province is actually 7%! You will also pay GST of 5%.

(Fran said: Lori great information on your web site on many subjects.)

Thanks Fran!
default_smile.png

Back