Critique

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyluva97

Reaction score
hi, i just got this little black colt, he has just been clipped, (rough clip job and the show halter is way to big for him, but you get the idea!), he is about 4 months old, 28.5 inches tall and he will be gelded. just wanted to know your opinions of him, he is nothing flash and he has a few faults but just wanted peoples honest opinions of him
default_smile.png
Would you personally show him and what are your thoughts on him and his confirmation. he has just been pulled out of the paddock and clipped so no conditioning. (full honest opinions please
default_smile.png
) Also with the pics, i couldn't get him to stand up properly because he was to cranky from being clipped so sorry about that!
default_smile.png

Thanks in advance
default_smile.png

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure the pictures are the most ideal when it comes to evaluations, but from what I think I can see, as just someone who is passionate about our breed...

What I like about him would be:

• His color
  • Length of leg
  • Cute head

What could be better in my eyes:

• His hip width
  • Neck could be higher set
  • Length of his ears
  • Topline

I think he will make a very enjoyable, and far better than MANY, gelding for you. That's the right call you've made but that's slso the right call for anyone "just" looking to enjoy their "male" horse
default_yes.gif
I think you've got lots of ribbons and in time, miles in a cart, with that guy!!!

Best of luck, and lots of fun, with your guy!

Last edited by a moderator:
There really isn't a photo to critique him from. If you can get a nice side shot - being down a bit to be more level with him than from above, it would help. Also a front and back shot showing the legs/feet would be helpful too.

He has a nice short back and straight front legs. His top line and rear are trouble spots. He is narrow of chest, but time, exercise, and good nutrition can help. It's hard to judge conformation at that age. The stages don't slow down until 4/5. Time will tell his talents! I have heard 3 days, 3 months, and 3 years are best for confo critiques. Horses like humans can go through some pretty wonky stages.

So hard to tell at that age but what I see overall I like him. Give him lots of growing time, feed him up and get his feet trimmed. Most of all enjoy him.

another question with him, he is supposed to be black, but in the pics he was clipped. the second pic was just after i washed him with a black shampoo and the rest were 2 weeks after using the shampoo. For show, would anyone recomend dying his coat? or just leaving him, because over here most people dye their horses coats.

I think he is a real cutie! He definitely is eye catching! I am new to minis so I don't know a whole lot about conformation as I was always a hunter/jumper and have never been judged on conformation.

If he was my mini, I would make him into a jumper
default_smile.png
that's what I do with my mini at 4h shows

Latest posts

Back