Critique my little stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihingstar

Reaction score
For the moment he has a little
default_whistling.gif
belly since he's been on grass with our other young stallions, and unfortunately he's to lazy to play with them as mush as I would like him to do. But what do you guys think about him ? He's 2 years old and 29".

IMG_3390s.jpg

IMG_3330s.jpg

He's not the best jumper even I can tell that
default_rolleyes.gif

IMG_3217s.jpg

Im not great at this but what really sticks out to me is that his neck ties in a bit low. The others will be able to help you more.

He does have a sweet litle face
default_yes.gif

His color and markings are beautiful!

I think his head is long (compare to the length of his leg), he's butt high and has a weak hip. His neck does tie in low to his chest.

Working him (ie lunging) at a trot and over ground poles would probably help to tuck up his stomach.

I laughed at his jumping pic!!! CUTE!

I never add to these as I watch what others always say and compare them to mine, but what jumped out at me was his smaller hip. Otherwise hes cute!

Hey, I had to reply to this post :)

Good on you for taking the time to share your little guy. I have a few tips and 'what not' to say, people may agree or disagree, but I am saying what works for me.

He is a nice colour to start off with.

Assuming you want to show him, I would firstly tend to his mane. While long, big beautiful manes look good on some horses, its better to thin and shorten others, especially smaller minis like yours. By having his mane that long, his neck looks a lot more undeveloped than it actually is. I would make his bridlepath a bit longer. I would cut his mane so that you can see his shoulders, as his shoulders aren't too bad and you want to show off your horse's good points! His neck will develop with age, as do all stallions basically!

His head is slightly longer (but when his neck develops more with age, it will look less longer). In the ring, I would have his forelock down the center of his face rather than pulled to the side. It looks a lot more attractive on longer faced/straight faced horses and almost gives an illusion of more convex profile.

His topline is fairly straight. Coming of age will certainly improve it, but I suggest hand walking him up hills. This will strengthen up his back muscles. Also, trotting poles are a treat for this. But be careful not to over do this as it might do more harm then good
default_smile.png

He has a bit of a grass belly. I assume hes on a good worming programme? If you limit his grass intake, his belly should go slightly. Gentle exercise should tone him up more - hand walking is always the best I find (10-20mins, atleast 4 days per week). Limited lunging on large circles can also work well. I have a large round pen that I like to free lunge my horses in as much as possible.

He is slightly light in the hind, but the larger belly does throw him off proportion a bit more than need be. Hill work will improve his bum
default_smile.png
- but of course, theres only so much you can do with his age.

To me, he is obviously a slower maturer. A lot of miniature horses seem to mature super quick. He obviously needs more time. Just think, a normal big horse can take 5ish years to look like a nice horse!
default_smile.png

If he was my horse. I would be finding the perfect diet on him and concentrate on feeding and building him up. I would give him gentle exercising. He needs to develop a jump technique, so I would do a few jumping exercises - crossbars and trotting poles - Concentrating on technique, not height obviously!

Even though he is two, I would still feed him horse feed for yearlings. Im not sure what you can get over where you live, but here I am thinking of one horse feed called Dunstan Yearling Prep......be sure to also feed him a lot roughage..not so much grass though!

LASTLY - When you stand him up for show. Try not stretch his neck up, because of his low neck set, he will show the muscles under his neck which will give the judge the impression that he has a ewe neck - a fault thats really not desirable, especially in the mini!

I hope I've helped you and if you have any more questions, do ask!!

Heyley~Diaz: Thank you so much for your tips
default_worshippy.gif
He is a late bloomer, probably because he was not in his best shape when he arrived october last year.He was full of worms and had never get his feet fixed so he walked really of and had none back and hind muscles at all. He's wormed yesterday so hope some of his belly will disappear because of that. Has had him wormed once more (4 times this year) now than whats normal but he's still wormy. He has now a muzzler on so he cant eat to much grass and feed him extra with alfalfa and foal pellet. Was thinking of having him walking along when I drive my other pony and have him running a little in the round pen. His forelock have been true a little accident
default_whistling.gif
but is growing out again, but will try having it in the center. Ohh and I love his long mane. Happy that next show is next year so he can keep it till then. We'll continue on training and take whats said to hearts. So hope to be able to post some better shapes pictures later.

This is how he looked when arriving.

32751989-1.jpg
32753169.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your very welcome. He's already looking more rounded - just comparing pictures. If you have any more questions - ask!!!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he getting fed a jr. feed and if so what? Have you given him a PowerDose for example SafeGuard? I think a lot of his problems are nutritional, I think he is cute but not stallion material. He would also do better if he was gelded and I think he would make a very cute gelding, JMO.

he's feed with :http://www.dodsonandhorrell.com/our-feeds/breeding/thoroughbred/mare-stallion/suregrow.html. Never heard about power doses but will meet my vet. tomorrow and can ask about it. Have no plan on geld him, not jet anyways. Since he's lazy and carefree as a stallion I'm afraid he'll become all to lazy, and now he has the sweetest personality. Plan to show him at next show (who is in june next year) and see whats says about him.But before that no way I geld him. He's happy with our other stallions and we don't have any mares.

Pulled up his tummy and gave him a shorter mane in Photoshop, so without a big belly he would look like this:

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj567/minihingstar/IMG_3402sl.jpg

You can buy the PowerDose at any TSC store or farm store, but for him all you need is 1 tube. You just deworm him 5 days straight with SafeGuard. The PowerDose package is for full size horses and comes with 5 tubes. I do it at the beginning of the year and you can tell a difference. Also if he is really lethargic he could be anemic. Certainly wouldn't surprise me if he was loaded with worms when you got him.

I live in Sweden and have not seen any like this in our store, so guess if we have it here it's in the drugstores since all deworm stuffs is on prescription here. But did deworm him yesterday, once in june, march and at new years since he was in such poor state when arriving.

A power dose deworming is 2x regular dose once daily for 5 consecutive days of fenbendazole. [since you aren't in the US, brands are likely to be different, but active ingredients are the same.]

oh I see. found one at ebay now so hope it will arrive in some weeks
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back