Creative Ideas for Empty Feed Sacks?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hosscrazy

Reaction score
What do you do with your empty feed sacks? I've got the polypropylene type, not the burlap or cloth type. It just seems like such a waste to keep throwing them away! Any ideas?

Liz R.

I use my feed sacks for trash bags in the barn.

JJay

Bluerocket said:
I use my feed sacks for trash bags in the barn.JJay

497224[/snapback]

Me, too! I mostly have the paper variety, but get a few of the poly bags (some I keep to have on hand, in case of a split bag). I've also used the poly bags for hauling loose hay, just stuff the bag full and go (we have mostly round bales, so the bags work nice to take a little hay along).

Use them for trash bags in the feed shed because mine too are paper. When I had the burlap kind a few years ago I used to keep one hung up and put all my baling twine in it till it got full then I'd do away with it. In the meantime, it gave the barn a nice smell, plus if I needed any twine for whatever, I had it at hand.

First I would make some lovely cut outs of the National Top Ten horses of your choice into lovely silhouettes sized from 5" to 9" but not to exceed 6 7/8" or 9" 1/4".

Then I would lay them flat out and color them to perfection by hand using some wonderful acrylic paint. They must appear lifelike so do not mess up the colorations. This must be your very best work of art ever.

Lay the bag down and also paint that by hand. Make a lovely mural of a scene of grass and tulips with a big bright blue sky. Don't forget the sun. Trim it with lace and ribbons for the 3 D effect.

Glue the horses down on it now very carefully so that they fit nicely into your mural. Be sure that they appear happy and in groups like a herd.

Now, decoupage them on.

Call the Smithsonian Institute or even the Louvre in Paris and tell them that you are donating them some very special bags.

new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

I put pop cans in them, tie them shut and walla you have a new horse toy.

I got bored one day, so I braided the strings that pull off to open the bags. Then my BFF and I wore them as friendship necklaces until my karate instructor made me cut it off. GGGRRR!!!!!! now it's tied onto my "COWGIRL UP" keychain.

I save a few to put weeds in when I pull them....................... You can put smaller items that are stored in the barn in them to keep them clean. Write contents on outside with black magic marker............ Fill up with composted manure & sell in your yard sale
biggrin.gif
Kidding!......................... Keep one on the floor by the back door to place wet muddy shoes on then toss................. If you are bored & looking for something to do - cut into wide strips, braid the strips then start making a circle by sewing together on bottom ( use dental floss or plastic thread ) to make you a textured rug to wipe boots on..... Or tie short strips on to a wire clothes hanger made into a circle. Once covered with the strips decorate the wreath with horsey items & hang in your barn....................... Weed barrier - use around shrubs, trees etc then cover with your composted manure. Poke a few holes in it so shrub can drink.................... Some grocery stores take plastic bags back to recycle, ask if they will take the feed bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
would have NEVER thought of braiding them into a rug to wipe my feet!!

I AM IMPRESSED!!!
aktion033.gif

I take mine and split them part way up and use them to cover the

wheels on our easy entry cart.....

I have a Frontier cart and haven't been able to find a cover for it so it

has a sheet for the basket and seat & grain bags for the wheels.

I use them to cover the top of my open bales of hay.

I cut a tiny hole in the top and put a hanger thru to hang tack I'm not

using to keep the dust off.

And I store blankets in them......

Michael keeps a couple in the back of the van, to use to lay on, should

he ever need to work on our car or a customer's car on the side of

the road. Keeps his behinder dry anyway.

Nothing creative but we do save them all - paper bags we use for garbage

or just toss.

Do you drink lots of soda ( or beer )?
new_all_coholic.gif
We have started using ours for cans. Lori

Harvey uses them when he picks dog poop up from the yard. Yuck, I know... My friend, Priscilla, has used them for like puppy paper when she has litters f corgis.

If our co-op gave us $1 a bag, we'd surely bring them in!!!!!!! I wish they did pay for them to return.

We take our poly ones that sweetfeed comes in to the school or the bus stops to get them then the kids use them for sliding down hills with behind the school. l think they put one inside the other and was told it works well for the younger kids and doesn't cause injury. Paper ones from feed get burned.

Latest posts

Back