Could we have some prayers please?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am happy to hear your filly is doing better! I too would put her on gastroguard, (ulcerguard) it is THE BEST product on the market for ulcers. It does not take much for them to get ulcers or something similar. It could simply be the change in the weather or change in habits, even their feed even though they are eating what appears to be the same feed.

Best of luck to you!

Beth

Last edited by a moderator:
Gastroguard is a WONDERFUL product. We have used it several times with great results. I hope your little Maggie is much better soon. It is so stressful when our little ones are sick.

Hey Mary, You can call me back now anytime, I'm in the house for the rest of the afternoon cleaning this mess in here

THoughts and prayers are with you and your little one- keep us posted.

Peggy

Just got back from taking Maggie to the hospital. She is now on Ulcerguard and she will be on 1/4 cc of Xylazine today and tomorrow.

He also told us not to give her any grain for a couple of days so I guess she is stuck with just beet pulp and hay.

Mary

Mary-

She'll do fine on beet pulp and hay - Treasure was on that diet for atleast 6 weeks before I started introducing some Safe Choice.

Good luck - I think she will be fine.

Barbie

Edited to add: When I had Treasure scoped and Dr Porter of University of Florida diagnosed ulcers I asked him about diet, the one thing he told me was NO SWEET FEED - just a little info I received.

Last edited by a moderator:
Checking in to see how Maggie is doing.
default_wub.png

Let us know when you have a minute.

We just went thru a very similar thing .. The vet was puzzled until we started going over Cinnamon's daily routine .. To make a long story short we realized Cinnamon had been eating acorns

We have a 200 yr old oak that over hangs the paddock .. We're new to horses so we didn't know acorns could be poisonous to mini's .. What puzzled us was that only 1 horse was sick .. Then we learned that most horses know what's good for them & what's not .. Sassy knew the acorns were bad so she didn't eat them

Cinnamon was a sick little girl for a week .. We had to keep her stalled to watch her intake .. When she went back to the field she was looking for the acorns (that my husband raked up) .. Sassy saw what Cinnamon was doing & chased her away

Cinnamon is back to her wild child self .. Just thought I'd mention acorns in case you have a tree near by as well .. Asking St. Francis to interced for your little one

i'm late getting to this thread but prayers are going out for your girl. hope she is doing better!

Mary, how is she this morning? I've found if it's ulcers they are usually showing improvement in 2-3 days when put on Ulcerguard or Gastrogurad.....unless really bad then takes a bit longer and sometimes a few days on Sucralfate too.

Charlotte

p.s. grain isn't good in ulcer cases. It has been suggested that alfalfa is a good choi9ce because of the high calcium level. Beet pulp is high calcium too, but does yours have molasses on it? Maybe would need to be rinsed?

So sorry Mary, I have not been able to get on my computer, also saw that you had called. I have had my hands full with my 4 year old grandson, took him home yesterday so I will be calling you as soon as I get in from feeding. Sounds like you are going through the same thing with Maggie that I am going thru with Ms Jean.

I will be calling soon as I get everyone taking care of outside and see how Maggie is doing and compare notes. Also will put my phone on the charger b4 heading out
default_biggrin.png

Hope all is well.

The vet just left and he is unsure what is going on with her, she was showing all of the outward signs of colic but her gut sounds are normal. He drew blood and she doesn't show any infection but her red cell count was a little low. She is not dehydrated either. He said her eyes looked slightly jaundiced but her liver enzymes were normal.

She is eating but not much and is very lethargic. He said none of her symptoms add up. We will be keeping an eye on her throughout the night to make sure she doesn't get worse.

This is our sweet little 2 year old that we have had since she was weaned and we are worried sick. It is so hard when they don't feel good and can't tell you what is wrong and where they hurt.

Mary

Maggie is much improved, she is almost back to normal. She will stay on the meds for at least the next 3 months then we will see. She can't have grain or anything with molasses so she is not happy, that means no Apple wafers (they have molasses) and no TicTacs. She can still have her beet pulp *soaked and drained and her carrots.

She was giving me kisses while I was trying to get her stall door open and she wanted to go out with the girls so I let her out. This evening she was the first one in for supper and tried her best to go into every stall but hers to see what they had to eat.

We will be changing her to oats when she is allowed back on grain, that way we don't have to worry about the sugar irritating her stomach. She is eating hay and is drinking and now that everything has started moving through her, she seems to be on the track back to health.

We are so relieved and so thankful for all the prayers and well wishes. I have a national debt vet bill but we still have our Maggie and she is getting better. It's going to be a Merry Christmas after all!

Bless her heart. She says her mom forgot how to cook!!! I am very happy to read she is feeling better
default_wub.png

Mary, I enjoyed our chat last night....always good to go to bed with a head full of good news! Keep us posted on sweet Maggie!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back