Could this colt be a dwarf?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnadams

Reaction score
I posted pictures of this cute little guy right after he was born on March 15. Some of you might remember this picture:

Beauty_s2009colt_064w.jpg

Here is what he looked like the day of foaling:

Beauty_s2009colt_035w.jpg

This is what he looks like now at about 2 months (we did not clip well around his muzzle):

Shorty3e.jpg

Shorty2e.jpg

So far his bite is right on and his legs are straight he is just short! He has been estimating to not go over 25 inches both at birth and now at 2 months. What do you think? What do I look for?

Last edited by a moderator:
He is a very beautiful colt!! To me he does not look dwarfy, his neck is a little short but not bad!! Especially with how small he is!! Enjoy him!!!

Heidi

He is a very beautiful colt!! To me he does not look dwarfy, his neck is a little short but not bad!! Especially with how small he is!! Enjoy him!!!

Heidi

default_saludando.gif
he is just so cute,,,,,,,,how tall is he now,,,

Awww, I remember that picture well! He's adorable!
default_wub.png
I don't think he looks dwarfy, just short! I have a minimal dwarf and her bite has never been right on and her legs I would never have called straight! I'll see if I can dig up a baby pic of her to compare.

How about sending his pic to John and asking him? I can't think of his website off the top of my head, maybe someone will jump in and tell us!!??

Tammy

Thanks for the comments. He is measuring approximately 19 inches now at 2 months and as a matter of fact, I did just finish emailing John! He has a lot of the well known blood lines, Komoko, NFCs, Dell Teras & Bond coming from both sides. He is just so cute and small, and I do not want him to ever have any problems. I keep watching him worrying his legs will start to bow out or something.

I think your little boy is just adorable!
default_wub.png
I am probably wrong, but I think he does show signs with the most obvious (IMO) being the length of his head appears to be longer than his entire neck length. His body also appears thicker than I would expect. Again, I'm probably wrong, just my 2 cents. His bloodlines, although very popular, are all known to have some prominent horses that were carriers. The thing is we all have bloodlines that are known to have carriers; it's really, really hard to find a "popular" line that doesn't have some in there somewhere.

Thanks for sharing his picture. Please post what John says if you don't mind.

He is adorable. I do agree though that he may be showing some signs of dwarfism. He does seem especially small, his neck is very short, and also his leg proportions do not seem quite right when you compare the upper and lower leg lengths.

He is adorable, but I do think he shows signs of being a dwarf (minimal). What jumps out at me is how dense his leg bones look, the length of his head, and his body proportions. But, as I said, he is adorable and I know well loved
default_wub.png

I have no thoughts on whether he's a dwarf--but wanted to say how lucky you are to have such a terrific helper!! And pretty, too!
default_smile.png

Your colt is adorable...

Hi

I do not think he looks dwarfy either. Although his head appears long in one of the photos, lots of horses look like that photo'd at the wrong angle. He just appears to be more of the older style mini, not so refined as we are breeding for today.

I'm no expert here of course, I only see photos on the internet. I know that some can change as they mature and show more signs, but to me he just looks like a little quarterhorse type miniature. A real cutey too by the way.

Good luck!

Beth

Hi

I do not think he looks dwarfy either. Although his head appears long in one of the photos, lots of horses look like that photo'd at the wrong angle. He just appears to be more of the older style mini, not so refined as we are breeding for today.

I'm no expert here of course, I only see photos on the internet. I know that some can change as they mature and show more signs, but to me he just looks like a little quarterhorse type miniature. A real cutey too by the way.

The horses in his pedigree are heavy boned horses in my opinion, most of them.

Good luck!

Beth

I wouldn't worry that he will all of a sudden be a severe dwarf with all kinds of problems! I would bet at worst you'll have to say that "he has some dwarf characteristics", I wouldn't even call him a minimal at this point!

Would be interesting to see what John has to say.

tammy

What is his bite like? I do not think his legs will go all wacky they well at least the dwarf I had born here her legs were like that at birth

while I see a short neck and slightly larger head I am not sure he is a dwarf but his bite would say a lot to me as well

I wouldn't say "dwarf" by looking at the pictures shown.

He's very small but seems to look in proportion when I look at his picture.

I think he's a very nice looking little horse.

I have a few questions about Dwarfs. Is there a test...i.e blood test to check for carriers etc? Does John have a website? I'd like to learn more.

He seems in proportion to me for his age etc, very cute too!! just not super refined.

First you did not say how tall the parents are. given that, for parents under 34" we have had foals born at 16". Show in under 28" class as a yearling, and at 3yrs old be 31" andpulling a cart. I don't think you have a dawrf. I do agree with others that say he does look more like the old style of miniature. Just not quite as refined as some of todays horses.

Hi Molly!
default_saludando.gif

At the bottom of the forum page, find a drop down box, I think there is still a forum listed where John answered a lot about dwarves there.
default_smile.png

You say his bite is on. Hmm I guess I'm leaning towards not a dwarf but maybe a carrier? I don't know a lot about them. He looks like a fun little man!

Thanks for all the comments. He is definitely a load of fun. His small size does not bother him a bit. He thinks he owns the place! We get such a kick watching him walk right under a fence that keep all of the other horses in. He goes where he wants when he wants. He runs around with no problems. His dam is a small 29" and his sire is a 30". I know that the charts are not accurate, but at birth and now at 2 months it is staying on the same curve saying he will mature around

24 1/2". I do agree and am hoping that maybe he is just the stockier build of the foundation bloodlines that are so famous and not a dwarf. I will report on what John has to say when he replies.

I am only beginning to learn about dwarfs myself, so no way am I an expert. I'm thinking he does look like the "weiner dog" type of dwarf (I don't remember the proper name for that). I know pics can distort things, but he appears to have a largish head (longer than his neck), his back already looks long compared to his leg length, and he has the sort of muscle-bound look that seems to go with that sort of dwarfism. He's a cute little dude, though, and I think I've heard that type can lead pretty normal lives.

I don't believe that your colt is a dwarf either. I have had a couple born here, and I have never seen a dwarf that didn't have an 'off bite' at birth. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's a big characteristic of a dwarf.

Just enjoy him!

Pam C.

Latest posts

Back