Could my mare get pregnant by 1 1/2 yr old?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.... So if my 10 month old colt could breed a 10 month old filly?...
default_unsure.png

His half sissy..

About 20 years ago I bought a mare and gelding pair. They were mother and son. He was less than 2 years younger than she was. She got in foal at 9 months old, by a colt that was the same age. She had life long negative effects because of this, and died at an early age due to health issues related to having carried a foal at that young an age. I don't care what some vets say, anything over 6 months and the boys and girls are NOT turned out together unless I'm willing to accept that a foal might result.

Thank you for this valuable, and possibly late information!
default_no.gif
My colt has a date with the doctor in 2 weeks for gelding.

As a side note...he didn't "drop" until well after his first birthday.

Another scary question though...if the mare is pregnant, is there any danger since they are somewhat related? This mare I'm worried about is the 1/2 sister of the colts mother.

Thank you for this valuable, and possibly late information!
default_no.gif
My colt has a date with the doctor in 2 weeks for gelding.

As a side note...he didn't "drop" until well after his first birthday.

Another scary question though...if the mare is pregnant, is there any danger since they are somewhat related? This mare I'm worried about is the 1/2 sister of the colts mother.
I wouldn't be too terribly worried about problems related to the close breeding. While I generally believe that breeding that close should be reserved only for those with gads of experience and a strong understanding of the blood lines and genetics involved I think the chances of something going wrong just because of that relationship should be pretty small.

Definitely possible. Not a good idea to run colts and fillies together after a year old.

Joyce

I have had to separate my mare (in-foal) from my young colt and his dam because he would just chase my mare round non stop.

He doesn't do it to his mother that I have seen but he is shocking with this other mare..He is a little over 3 months old, and knows exactly what to do, has his gear out and just as "ready" as any mature stallions I've seen...I think the only reason he has not managed to actually breed her is just because he is not tall enough to reach.

I took him out to a show last weekend, and he even seems to know when a mare is in season...does the grunting thing and gets really excited... So I had a feel today and yep two little meatballs, fully down and ready for removal
default_biggrin.png

After this experience I believe that all colts should be separated from weaning...its far to risky

Helen

My vet stands by infertile until 1 year old, but I take no chances. We separate at 3 months old. Lord knows enough things can go wrong as it is. Fillies in one field, geldings and colts in another. With a 3 foot lane in between.....
default_biggrin.png
Just try and fill THAT gap!! LOL!

Latest posts

Back