Could my mare get pregnant by 1 1/2 yr old?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clpclop

Reaction score
I have an almost 2 year old colt/stallion that has been turned out with my mare. Is he old enough to breed with her? She's looking rather chunky and I'm just hoping she's not!

Oh yes. He is most deffinantly old enough. An arab my brother bought years fathered a filly just before he was gelded at 1 1/2.

He's been old enough to get her in foal for over a year, by all the information I have read and heard.

Good luck...

Liz

I bought a young mare that was "just out running with the yearling colts". I got my 1 1/2 year old mare home - the foal followed three days after she arrived. DON'T EVERY RUN COLTS AND FILLIES TOGETHER UNLESS YOU WANT A BABY! (Remember, neither of the registries will recognize this foal since the mare isn't three years old.)

Yeah, I think it's definitely a good idea to separate colts from fillies and mares at 6 months of age. Colts should be with other colts or geldings, fillies should be with fillies.

YES... I always seperate my fillies and colts. I have a friend that had a 3 month old colt mounting mares and he was actually producing white creamy stuff. She had him checked and by golly there were live sperm......

I just wanted to clarify that AMHR has a rule about age, but AMHA does not.

Susan O.

And this new thing with AMHR. CAN you register the foals that are the rult of a breedig being sired by a 2 year old stallion? I know you can't until the stallion goes permanent, correct? Put say after he is permanent at 3, can his foals then be reg'd the normal way? I don't fully undsertand that new rule. I am asking this, because I have a 2 year old that I plan to TRY to use this year to breed a few mares. He was born 04/30/06. So, supposing I breed them in May and he does not go permanent until April 30, 2008, but has a foal born on April 2, can I still register that resulting foal after the sire gets his perm registration?? Can someone explain the reason for this new rulke? I don;t recall that either, but I know there was a reason?? Thanks!

Baylee got 5 mares in foal in a 2 week period of time when he was only 15 mos old
default_new_shocked.gif
-- one heat cycle per mare - probably not more than one cover per mare -- oh YES, they can settle mares at that age!

Stac

can a 11 mos old colt get mares bred?

Last edited by a moderator:
.... So if my 10 month old colt could breed a 10 month old filly?...
default_unsure.png

His half sissy..

we were told the earilest per our vet is 1 yr old. I hate to hear this, because he is with some mares right now.He is sold, but is not leaving til the end of the month.

Last edited by a moderator:
My old stallion here has about three foals registered- he was used to breed at a year old, and settled the mares!

I NEVER leave my colts and fillies together after weaning and I also had a colt that was teasing AND mounting mares (and was ready to breed) at five months! I had warned the buyer not to put him out with any fillies or mares and they did anyway. A month later I got an email that they had to seperate him because he was actually trying to breed mares. Well, DUH!! I had already told them that- I guess they thought I was kidding??

Haha, in fact, come to think of it, that colt was the son of the old stud above- like father, like son??!
default_wink.png

YES, a colt can get a mare in foal easily around 6 months of age. Syndi Kanzler posted above that they had a four month old doing that, with live sperm. THAT is the youngest I have heard of, and it certainly scares me to think of a four month old breeding his dam!

Intact colts should NOT be running with the herd after they are weaned. Fillies can be fertile as young as (I've heard) 10-12 months, however this may be somewhat rare. I personally would not chance it.

Separate the intact colts from the fillies, guys....

Liz

Latest posts

Back