Cougars?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny

Reaction score
We just had a neighbour stop by and tell us that they spotted two sets of cougar tracks just up the road from us. Is there anything i can do to protect Breaker? He gets shut in his stall when it gets dark every night. We can't really do anything with fencing. We can't get any protection animals either (livestock guardian dogs, donkeys). We were thinking of putting loud music on all day to deter the cougars. Would this work?

Tractor supply sells a small box that has red blinking lights that ward off predatory animals. I think it is called night guard or night defense. I had a bobcat problem and this worked for me.

Loud music would just tick your neighbors off and not scare a Cougar away, or any hungry predator for that matter..

But the Night guard, as was stated before might work.

Only way to protect your stock, if you can't put good fence up, is keep him enclosed in a secure barn from dusk to dawn.. through the night. Though I have seen very hungry ones hunt during the day.

When I lived in Oregon, I had a very active and aggressive predator base. Cougars, Bears, Bobcats, packs of Coyotes(20+) and a couple of wolves. Only thing that kept my animals safe and my husband
having to run out in the middle of the night with a shot gun in his underwear,,, was the night fencing we put up.

We were blessed when we lived up north. Our nearest human neighbor was 3/4 of a mile away. We basicly lived in the middle of the forest just a mere 30 miles south of the Canadian border. We had bobcats, bears, lions, coyotes and Canadian wolves as our neighbors. While people that lived on the main highway had to deal with black bears and lions on their porches, we never did.

Our horses had simple run in shelters, except the stallion and mini bull, they had barn stalls. But they all could come and go as they pleased between the barn yard and the 2 acre turnout.

One reason may have been our coyote/aussie dog that "talked" to the wildlife every night. It could have been our jenny that run loose on the property who did on one occasion met up with a large predator as it had attacked her hind quarters. Stupid wild animal must have had one killer headache! And the donkey had a few small scratches.

Of course it may have also been just plain luck that we never had a problem.

I heard our black bear neighbor every spring as it awoke out of hibernation. And I would see it's tracks in the spring snow. My brother-in-law seen the lion a few times while he was out hiking. And our neighbor had seen the bobcat.

Thanks everyone for the replies! He is enclosed in a secure stall from dusk till dawn. I probably wouldn't be able to sleep if he was out at night.
default_ohnoes.jpg
It has metal bars on the top and wood on the bottom of the sliding stall door. So I don't think anything is getting in there!

Here is a picture from inside the stall:

IMG_2733.JPG

As for during the day, I'll just have to pray that the cougar is not starving and will leave us alone
default_smile.png

Hi everyone! I have an scary update on the cougar situation here. That same neighbour stopped by again and said that there were three cougars right across the street from us at the resort that I take Breaker for walks in!
default_ohnoes.jpg
I was actually just heading out the door to take him for a walk when the guy showed up at my door and told me the news. Apparently there were game wardens looking for them but they didn't get them. I obviously didn't take him for the walk after hearing this. I didn't really know what to do so I just put him in his stall with some hay. I'm going to go talk to the people across the street once my dad gets home as I feel the guy that told me might be a bit over the top, but I'm still very concerned. Do you think Breaker will be fine in his stall all day for now until we figure things out? He's used to being stalled at night for 12+ hours, and I put his hay in his slow feeder pillow. I can feed him several times a day as well to prevent boredom, as I'm home all day. I can't think of any other option right now as I don't feel comfortable with him being outside alone all day. Will he be fine for now?

As long as he has water/food in his stall and you take him out for some exercise (a good run around and a roll perhaps while you stay there with him) everyday for a half hour to an hour he should be fine for now but I wouldn't leave him stalled all day and night for too long. He will go stir crazy if you leave him confined indefinitely and you may start seeing behaviour problems crop up.

We also live in cougar country. We back up to 40 acres of wooded mountain and the land around that is not... home compressed shall I say. A neighbor lost a llama and a goat to a cat in two separate attacks, they live at the base of a rock formation that has LOTS of hiding places for predators. They got a Pyrenees guard dog and have not had much trouble since (and the cat was trapped and relocated as well). Some thoughts:

1) We ran a 6' electric fence composed of alternating equine rope (hot) and electric fence wire (ground). We ran equine rope over the gates and the gates themselves are wire mesh. It was not terribly expensive as fencing goes. Sometimes deer still find their way into the paddocks and I have had to repair the fence afterwards, but it seems to work well.

2) We always put up our horses at dark, and do not let them out until daylight. The most dangerous times are dusk and dawn, and especially in the fall and spring. Let's just say our social life has taken a hit in the winter. We do have a couple horse people we pay to put them up and feed them should circumstances dictate we cannot. Not too expensive.

3) I wired in LED spotlights (BRIGHT!! But not terribly expensive, and don't consume much amperage). They are photocell and motion controlled. Sometimes the chinook winds we get move the grass which trips the lights, sometimes one of the neighborhood foxes does. Or... the deer above do.

4) We have a guardian donkey (Sam). He is a very rare donkey, in that he is imprinted on mini horses and much prefers them to other donkeys. Probably a one in a thousand find. He is gentle and protective, another unusual trait for a gelded Jack.

5) The barn is not far from the house, nor the dog run.

Some or most of these ideas may help you. I also go packing when taking a horse through the woods, pepper spray would be a good idea if a firearm is not up your alley.

Your local Division of Wildlife is a good place to contact as well. They can update you on what they know from an impartial perspective.

IMG_20130429_085333_587-M.jpg

IMG_20130429_060744_470-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Reignmaker and Foxhaven! My dad talked to the neighbours across the street and they said that they haven't seen any cougars or predators and haven't heard of any reported at all, so I'm a bit confused. We don't really know the man who told me about the three cougars, and I'm starting to think the information he told me was not completely true. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do cougars usually travel in a group, because I always thought they were solitary. We are good friends with the people across the street, and I would think that if the game warden were on their property, they would know, but they said there was no game warden. This is actually the third time this guy has told us there were cougars here and that they were "coming for my horse", so I'm starting to believe he is a bit of an alarmist.

Call the game warden and ask him.

Cougars are usually solitary--however--there have been several reports here of 2 cougars being seen together, several different times/places--so they are not always solitary. Not sure if these two are mother and offspring or what.

It does sound like this guy is just trying to scare you, but the best thing would be to get info directly from the game warden.

Adding a bit of reality check here: We live in densely population CT where there are not supposed to be cougars but there ARE (I saw on myself while horseback riding). And just after your original post one of our minis was attacked and almost killed by a bobcat while inside his stall in the barn before 9:30 PM!!! So anyone who is reading this and thinking "this is not something I have to worry about", think again. Most of the solutions people suggested to us will not help a mini alone in his stall. We have no idea how the bobcat (ID'd from photos of wounds) entered the stall, we only know he got out when the mini in the next stall broke out through his back door, which he left open as an escape route. That mini and all the ones in the turnouts around the barn were unharmed. We have now put 2"X4" wire over the bars in the stall, blocked the small openings at the top of the wall (about 8' high) and leave a baby monitor on in the barn between PM and AM feedings. More about Rusty on a thread on this forum and one on the Mare Watchers Chat forum. After over $10,000 in vet bills, Rusty is recovering very well, but the first 48 hours after the attack were very scary. He needed 8 units of blood and they had to speed it up to keep him from dying while they were transfusing him.

targetsmom is right--if your barn is not completely closed up--it is NOT safe from predators, especially cats. Here barns are pretty much completely closed up--solid walls, windows, no ventilation openings left along the top of the walls--so as long as doors are closed securely and windows are intact, no broken ones--the horses are safe from predators. If you live in a warmer climate and your barn walls are not solid--"something" could get in by jumping/climbing in over top the wall. If your barn is enclosed but you leave the door open or you leave the top half of a dutch door open--you provide a means of entry to some predator. If you think that a predator will not enter a building to get at a horse, please think again. I have known of bears, cats, coyote and dogs that did enter a building to get at the animals inside. It may not be "normal" for a wild animal to go inside a building--but reality is, some of them do it.

Targetsmom, I followed the thread on Rusty's attack and recovery, and I know how scary that must have been and I am SO happy that he is doing well now! Breaker's barn is pretty much completely closed off. There are no openings in the stall except for the stall door. It has metal slats on the top half that are very close together and he can't even get his nose through them, and the bottom half is solid wood. It's also a really heavy sliding door so it couldn't be accidentally opened and is always locked with a heavy metal latch. We made his stall predator proof because that was the entire reason for his stall. We have some bobcats in our general area but I don't know of anyone who's seen one. Breaker is never out at dark. He comes in his stall at 4:00 pm right now as it gets dark so early. I've been letting him stay outside from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm in the day as I can't imagine him being very happy in his stall all day, but if I ever go somewhere and there's no one at home, he gets put in his stall.

I don't know if Cougars are like other "cats". We had a cat, a good size Birman...really big, squeeze through an opening of about 2" wide. So if Cougars are like domestic cats, they can almost go completely flat to get into something.

I don't know that much about cats and cougars, but cougars usually weigh 150-250 pounds., I could be wrong, but I can't see a cougar fitting through a 3" opening. Maybe his arm, but I doubt his whole body.

The most predictable thing about predators is their unpredictability.

I would also be quite concerned about the game your neighbor is trying to possibly play here...(been there, done that - or more properly had it done TO me)... DEFINITELY check with the game warden. A call to the county sheriff might also be in order, just to ask for information or perhaps a site visit. The call would be logged. Maybe nothing will come of it... but being sorry you made the call will DEFINITELY not be an outcome.

I don't know that much about cats and cougars, but cougars usually weigh 150-250 pounds., I could be wrong, but I can't see a cougar fitting through a 3" opening. Maybe his arm, but I doubt his whole body.
They can fit through smaller openings than you might think. They can also dig UNDER a barn wall.

The weird thing is, I did a search to find the number for the game warden (which i didn't even know was), and there is no such thing in our area. My parents don't know of such a thing here either. So, I'm not really sure what this guy is talking about.

No worry of one digging under the barn wall, it's on a concrete foundation.

I've realized now that I can't live life in fear all the time, and I know that predators are one of the risks of living in a rural area. There isn't much I can do about it except pray that Breaker remains safe.
default_smile.png

Yep.

We have a couple folks we can call on, to put up the horses, should we run late for whatever reason. Another layer of preparedness. Dusk and dawn are the most dangerous times.

who is this guy coming around? I hope "you" are not alone. You mention waiting for your Dad to get home, I would want your Dad to have a talk with this guy. Don't mean to scare you but I am just suspicious of this.

Latest posts

Back