Cooling down clipper blades

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm clipping another one today so I hope the alcohol still will work as well as it has been. These blades should have been way dull by now. If I can get through just one more horse with them this will be amazing and I will be one happy Weenie!

Re: Kool Lube, Im surprised that so many of you have had the "gunked" up blades from using it. I havent found that to be the case when I use it, When I went to dog grooming school, that's what we were taught to use to clean and cool blades that get clogged while grooming. Every salon and shop I've worked in has used it as well. Just curious--do ya'll use a stiff brush/toothbrush to brush the hair out of the blade teeth before you spray? We were also taught never to clip or scissor wet hair as it dulls your blades. On the other hand.... I have always wondered why when I go to the hair salon to get my hair cut, they cut it wet. Go figure!!
default_laugh.png
Always one to try new things to improve, I shall now try to clip when wet.
default_smile.png

Re: Kool Lube, Im surprised that so many of you have had the "gunked" up blades from using it. I havent found that to be the case when I use it, When I went to dog grooming school, that's what we were taught to use to clean and cool blades that get clogged while grooming. Every salon and shop I've worked in has used it as well. Just curious--do ya'll use a stiff brush/toothbrush to brush the hair out of the blade teeth before you spray? We were also taught never to clip or scissor wet hair as it dulls your blades. On the other hand.... I have always wondered why when I go to the hair salon to get my hair cut, they cut it wet. Go figure!!
default_laugh.png
Always one to try new things to improve, I shall now try to clip when wet.
default_smile.png
I haven't had wet hair dull my blades. I can usually clip 2-4 horses on a single blade... not sure if that is less horses than usual...

The only concern I'd bring up about clipping wet horses is that your blades will rust if you don't oil them when you are done clipping. I use Kool Lube when I clip, never had a problem with gunky blades either. I keep a soft toothbrush on hand to brush hair out of the blades and clipper head as needed. WD40 works in a pinch if you run out of Kool Lube by the way... it's way cheaper but I think it DOES get a little "gunky" comparatively.

Andrea

Just recently attended a miniature horse seminar, the speaker a notable trainer in Michigan said not to clip wet as it does dull your blades. Marty I will try your idea this weekend 7 to clip, including a rowdy baby. THANK YOU!

PROOF!!

I just clipped 4 horses. Three had been show clipped 10 days ago, so they were pretty short. The 4th is a big B gelding who had his winter hair clip about 6 weeks ago, and not touched since.

I used my blower to clean off the 3 recently clipped. Then I used a 15 blade and a small bowl of alcohol. The hair was coming off very fine, which usually clogs up my blades. All I did was dip the blades occasionally in the bowl of alcohol. I could hear them rev up every time, and at no point did they get hot.

The last guy I bathed and started clipping wet. By the time I got to the other side in our windy day he was pretty dry. I did the same routine - clip a bit and dip.

I DID ALL FOUR HORSES WITH ONE 15 BLADE!!! It took me less than 2 hours. They clipped smoothly and cleanly. No lines, no clogs, no heat!!! After I finished I dumped out the bowl and there was a slimy cloggy mess in the bottom, obviously the fines from the clippers.

I"ve used Kool Lube previously, but never had as good a result at using the little bowl of alcohol. Plus it's CHEAPER!!

Thanks for the great tip!

Last edited by a moderator:
my blades don't seem to dull as fast when clipping wet vs clipping dry. I also get a better clip. To each their own, what works for some don't work for others. I can't clip worth a doodle on a dry white/pinto horse it looks like a weed whacker clipped them but when wet they come out nice and smooth.

Karen

I dio my blades in a jar of gasoline, then wipe the blade on a towel. This cleans and cools quickly.

Latest posts

Back