Cooling down clipper blades

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Here is an Itty Bitty Tippy for you about cooling down your hot clipper blades:

I had no idea this worked until the other day. Maybe everyone else in the world already knows it and I've been spending way too much time sitting on a hay bale, but for those that need an idea that works, here you go. I normally would remove my blade, run it in blade wash and oil it, and then sit it on an ice pack covered with a wash cloth to cool it down. No more! Someone told me to use straight rubbing alcohol and run my blades in it. This cools them down right away completely! YAY! No more waiting for hot blades to cool off or having to change them. Not positive its the alcohol, but also for some reason I have done numerous body clips with the same blade without them getting dull. Fancy that! Normally after shaving a couple of horses from their winter coats the blades are dull and shot, but I still have plenty of cut left in this one blade I've been using. I have clipped 3 adults and 2 babies with the same #10 Oster blade (extra wide) who were plenty hairy from winter. Anyhow, try rubbing alcohol next time you clip!

This has been a public service announcement.
default_aktion033.gif
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif

Thanks Marty, wish I had read this before clipping my 4 minis tee hee.

Well, thanks anyways for the next time...
default_aktion033.gif

Wow - I've got to clip 4, and have 3 babies so far to clip. I'm going to give this a try! Thanks!

Or...you could use Kool Lube.
default_biggrin.png
About $6 a can, spray it on your blades and it cleans and cools them instantly.

Now there is a timely tip. I just clipped 2 today and what a chore. each horse went thro several blade changes to get the job done. They were very woolly and those clippers had to really work to clean them up. Now I have to run and get some rubbing alcohol to try this out.
default_smile.png

Neat Marty! I'll have to try that. I imagine the alcohol cleans the blade real well too.

I keep several blades going when I clip and as one warms up I lay it on the cool concrete...that large mass of cool takes the heat out in just minutes, but it doesn't get the blades CLEAN!
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the suggestion.

Charlotte

I don't like Cool Lube as the stuff never seems to work that well, gunks up my blades and smells like nasty chemicals I wouldn't want near my skin or my horse's.
default_unsure.png
I've done the ice-and-concrete trick and imagine rubbing alcohol would work (although you need to oil the blade again afterwards!) but the best thing I've found is clipping the horse wet. It's insane how much faster I can get done when the blade never seems to heat up and I can do the whole body without stopping! It's harder for me to tell if I'm doing it evenly when the horse is wet, but usually he's almost dry by the time I'm done and I can go back over any spots I'm not sure of.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like Cool Lube as the stuff never seems to work that well, gunks up my blades and smells like nasty chemicals I wouldn't want near my skin or my horse's.
default_unsure.png
I've done the ice-and-concrete trick and imagine rubbing alcohol would work (although you need to oil the blade again afterwards!) but the best thing I've found is clipping the horse wet. It's insane how much faster I can get done when the blade never seems to heat up and I can do the whole body without stopping! It's harder for me to tell if I'm doing it evenly when the horse is wet, but usually he's almost dry by the time I'm done and I can go back over any spots I'm not sure of.

Leia
I agree. I clip my horses wet and not only do I get a smooth clip, but the blades NEVER get hot and you don't have horse hair blowing around! Since they should be bathed before clipping anyway, I just bathe and clip immediately. Works like a charm and is efficient.

Andrea

Just saying this works so well for me I hope this works for you guys as well as it did for me.

I also like to clip horses wet but in this particular case they were bathed, but dry. I agree cool lube does seem to make the hair goopy which is another reason I prefer to use the rubbing alcohol. My friend is a genius! Wish she told me about this sooner.

I agree. I clip my horses wet and not only do I get a smooth clip, but the blades NEVER get hot and you don't have horse hair blowing around! Since they should be bathed before clipping anyway, I just bathe and clip immediately. Works like a charm and is efficient.

Andrea
They don't get jammed up clipping them wet? I've never tried that.......

thanks for that , I have one washed and ready to clip now

Marty, I'm so happy to read this!! I just started clipping yesterday and have several more to go!! Thanks so much!!

Pam

Good idea, I have one mare (my avatar) that will get hives where the newly "kool-lubed" blade touches her...so I have to be very careful to wipe the blades, I will try the alcohol next time and see how that works.

I generally use two sets of blades anyways, and just set the warm set on the cement floor...they cool nicely and very quickly too.

Marty: NOW you tell me!!! I'm done clipping for the most part....and the last girl was a PAIN because my blades are just about toast. Will tuck this away for future use though : )

Rebel: That image of where to oil the blade....fabulous. Thanks!

I ususally rotate blades and cool the hot ones in the mini-fridge, takes just a minute or so and they come out really cold LOL. Will try the alcohol though, good thing to know esp if I am clipping away from home. I'm not a Cool Lube fan either, seems to get goopy. I do keep a stiff bristle brush handy and brush off the blade pretty often, it runs cooler if it's not having to work as hard.

Jan

Latest posts

Back