Considering Breeding My Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniThymeAcres

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been considering to breed my twelve year old mare. She has had two foals in the past, both were smooth pregnancies and the foals turned out beautiful. Dakota is getting older and I think that this may be one of the last years I can breed her. She is AMHR division B, with blue boy bloodlines and a very nice extended trot. She is somewhat unruly in the show ring because she was not handled much at a young age (we bought her when she was 6) but she has a nice disposition at home. However, I don't know who any of the studs near where I live. I would prefer a horse with certain lines, since Dakota is a B. I also have no idea how much stud fees usually run. Also, when is the best time to breed your mares? If anyone could answer any of these questions, it would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Jessica
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would contact some local clubs if you can find them, they usually maintain a breeder's list. Also wanted to add that if this is the mare in your avatar, she looks to be very nice.
default_smile.png

Just btw, 12yo is not really getting "old" when it comes to broodmares (in case that's welcomed good news for you)
default_yes.gif

I agree that if the mare is the one in your avatar, she is very pretty.

What can you find out about the stallion(s) she was bred to before? If you liked those foals, I would start with those breeders and see if they know of anyone in your area with similar bloodlines. Also, (this may be too obvious) have you posted your desires on the LB Sale Board and checked the Breeders Connect? Check all the Miniature Horse magazines you can find for breeders in your area. Good luck!

Hi Jessica

As said if it's the mare in your avatar - she looks very nice indeed! I will tell you that it will be less expensive and time and possible heartache if you just purchased yourself a foal but I do understand! Don't settle for a stallion because he is convenient , write down what you are looking for in the stallion. You may or may not find one close to home, I know we have put our stallions at stud to outside mares about 6 times (AQHA and AMHR) but have pretty much decided against it for the time being because of the extra work and worry that someone else's horse would get hurt (thankfully no one ever got hurt! !)so we are only servicing our own mares-

12 is definately not too young considering she has had foals in the past but you might want to do a repro exam to be sre before spending money on a stud fee, mare care, etc.

Another thought is to attend some spring AMHR shows, check out the stallions, talk to the owners= if you aren't going to be showing the foal as a weanling ,breed for a late spring to summer foal so you don't have to worry about a foal being born this time of year (especially in upstate NY - as I sit here typing admidst a New England snow storm!
default_biggrin.png
)

Good luck whatever you decide!

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice!

And thank you for all the compliments for the mare in my avatar. She is not Dakota, the mare in my avatar is Wind Dancer... i appreciate all the compliments very much as I have worked so hard to condition her.

I have another question. How expensive is it to inseminate (i think thats what its called lol) a mare? I've heard it costs a lot more than traditional breeding...but I don't know much about it.

Thanks

Jessica

PS. Here's a pic of Dakota for everyone wondering what she looks like:

dk.jpg

I know you can't see all of her but it is the only picture I have uploaded online that I could find! Sorry!
default_yes.gif

To do shipped semen could inflate your costs another $1000+ depending on vet fees, shipping fees, container fees and wether your mare takes the first time - also add to that the repro exam because I would never consider inseminating without it!

By the way, Dakota looks very nice too !

You can't really say "it'll cost this much". I've seen stallions stand anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand!

The best thing to do is look around and see if you find a stallion you like. Then talk with the owners and see if they stand to outside mares and what the price is. Good luck.

I didn't know you could AI a mini? Is this acceptable in the registry? If so, how come nobody does it? We do this as a preferred way of breeding our quarter horses and it is not very expensive. Yes it does cost to have it shipped, but much less than traveling across the country to the right stallion.

Latest posts

Back