Conformation Critique/Advice *pics added*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessj

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am getting my almost 2yr old filly ready for show season and would like opinions on her conformation and/or advice on where she needs work. Please pm me your email address and I will send pics...or would it be better to just post them here? Thanks, Jessica

Last edited by a moderator:
POST THEM!!!
default_yes.gif

Here she is. I know that these pics aren't the best...I only have my hubby for help. He tries, but he isnt really "horsey". He lets them play and fidget when he holds, and stands at a funny angle when he takes the pics...lol! My daughter's first local show with her is in about 4 weeks so I just clipped her body with a #9 to see where she needs work. All opinions/advice are appreciated.

SANY0394.JPG

SANY0395.JPG

SANY0402.JPG

SANY0444.JPG

SANY0445.JPG

SANY0446.JPG

Personally her shoulder seems a bit steep and the head is squarish, but I like her long neck and legs.

I'll give my two cents, the pictures do show her as having too steep of a shoulder, but I think if you pulled her front legs out a bit it would look better, as in the pictures she is a little under herself. I really like the way her neck ties in to the chest, and not between her legs. Her top line is lovely and level. I really like her! I don't know what others will say, but her color is great, I like the way she is trotting. I might be a bit prejudice as silver dapple is one of my fave colors, but I think she will do well.

From the pictures posted...

I like:

• Her color
  • Her facial markings
  • The shortness of her head
  • Her topline
  • The length of her neck

What I would improve with a magic wand:

• The set of her neck (could be higher)
  • The depth of her hip (could be stronger)
  • Size and tightness of her ears (smaller / tighter)

I see her as above average
default_yes.gif

her proprtions look pretty good , she does appear to be in more or less equal thirds , I like her length of leg and neck and her short head, I agree that her ears arent tight enough but I do like big ears ,( small ears look ponyish to me ) ,she has a good toplineand if she was stood better I do believe the line from point of buttock through hock and down to pastern would be perpendicular , she tracks up fairly well but I agree with the other posters , her shoulder is very upright , overall she is a nice filly and I like her

edited to add , I would have liked to have seen pics from front and back too
default_smile.png

Thanks everyone for your honest opinions. That is exactly what I was looking for!

I honestly think you have a nice performance horse there, potentially, but not halter. This is not to say you should not go ahead and show her in halter- it is all good experience for both your daughter and the filly, and anyway- who knows what will happen......

Back