conditioning show horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash136

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am showing my gelding in 2012 and just wanted to know when to start getting him fit for his first show. I live in NJ and the shows around here dont start until may and and the last one will be end of june into july. i was thinking about starting on the first of Feb. That gives me a little over three months to get him fit. When do you start to condition your horses for the show season?

3 months minimum to really condition. In Minnesota, with the shows starting in May, mine started the show season before I had them at their best as the snow did not melt until sometimes into April and I also could not shave them down until May and then had to blanket often. I am looking forward to better conditioning in Florida.

3 months is enough time to start but for me it would depend on the horse's condition. If I had one that was overweight I would probably start conditioning at least 6 months prior to first show. Same would go for one thats underweight. Round penning, trotting along golf cart, jogging up and down hills, and driving (if broke) are good ways to condition a horse IMO

3 months is enough time to start but for me it would depend on the horse's condition. If I had one that was overweight I would probably start conditioning at least 6 months prior to first show. Same would go for one thats underweight. Round penning, trotting along golf cart, jogging up and down hills, and driving (if broke) are good ways to condition a horse IMO
I agree. If they need a lot of weight taken off or put on, it is not healthy to do that too quickly. I have a overweight mare that I am thinking about showing in 2012. I need to start working with her no later than November if I want to show her by May.

Back