Companions for your minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree there are horses all over this country that are single horses and are just fine and happy healthy and well adjusted. It might not be the best situation for a baby but even then some might be fine.It never cost me the same to feed our Neubian goat as a mini and she loved them they were always playing with the horses

I think getting one horse and seeing if you are ok with the time, responsibility and money then look at getting 2 you surely dont have to rush into a purchase as big and life changing as a horse (or 2) quickly.

I am sure you will enjoy your new horse cant wait to see pics!

[SIZE=14pt]Very well said :bgrin [/SIZE]

My mini is out with my pygmy goats. (of course, for him ,there is also an elderly full sized mare, and horses on the other side of the fence). I was a single horse owner for many many years...and my horse was not worse off because of it. Depends on the horse.

Anyway, my goats have never escaped, and have never chewed on anything. My smallest one will lay on top of my big mare when she's laying down.

Now we spent the cash and the time and put up a welded wire fence for ours, but it is also reinforced with electric wire. They are smart enough to stay away one they know that wire is there.

Good luck finding a mini to foster, not sure if it's as easy to find and do as it sounds, but if not, depending on your fencing, a goat will be better than nothing at all. Goats are actually needing their own kind more than horses do....but if you have one mini and one goat, they may bond very well.

No, do not give horse feed to goats, or goat feed to horses. If you have a goat, you will have no luck trying to "goat proof" the feed bucket...you'll have to take one out each time. I actually have old blanket straps hooked to the outside of chainlink inside the barn, at feeding time, the goats each get tied up with their own, while the horses eat theirs. Works out great that way.

When I got my first goat, I made the mistake of just one. They only had one for sale, I loved her, and wanted to take her home. She was very unhappy, after only a day I took her to a friend's, who had a goat herself, so that she could have a friend until I got another one.... I think if there would be any problems, it might be with the goat more than the horse. JMO But they get along great here...the goats have play structures, and my mini often plays with them, only wishing he could get on these structures himself.

I honestly believe that having one horse that is well fed, well loved and well looked after could be as happy and content as a horse that shares a field/paddock with many.

I see many paddocks with horses that don't have people attend to them on a daily basis. They are left to fend for themselves with very little human contact. That scene is a far more sorrowful scene than a single horse who is pampered, loved and shown devotion every single day.

At this point, my life only allows for one horse. 2 horses = double the feed, double the vet bills etc. I would rather have one horse who has the best quality feed available than having 2 or more horses and having to worry that I can't afford the best feeds.

I don't want to have to be concerned about making a call to the vet because I just had the vet out to my 'other' horse and I can't afford a second call out.
default_sad.png

As far as I'm concerned, my little horse deserves the BEST of everything. I will not get another mini when I can't afford to. That would only put this horse in jeopordy.

My time is limited as I work full time. I do not want to spread myself too thinly by being pressured into buying another horse.

I just feel that there are so many people who are ready to jump on someone who only has one horse, even though that horse lives the life of a King/Queen!

I hope that no one here has put that pressure on you the way they put the pressure on me. Make your own decision based on your time limits, finances and space.

Good luck.
default_yes.gif
:

Fantastic response Maplegum!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I agree with you 100% and more!

What really concerns me here, is that certain people are advising New Mini Owner that if she does not get another mini as a companion that she should not get a mini at all, as it is cruel! Am I right?

In my opinion (and it is just my opinion), I find the people advising New Mini Owner to take on a rescue just as bad!

She has stated more than once that she is not in a position to take on two horses (for whatever reasons that are personal to her) so why would people push this fact! IF ANYTHING, taking on a rescue for a new mini owner could be a totally irresponsible choice. Depending on the condition of the rescue, she could be looking at thousands of dollars in vet bills, care etc on a horse that could have very serious pre-existing conditions (that may not be discovered until later down the track)!

The animals that have been discussed in this thread may very well not be suitable, however that should be her choice to make! She should not be made to feel guilty for owning only one horse.

I have also read Maplegum's past posts on little Bailey and I know she too, has been made to feel guilty for only having one horse. Have a look at the lengths her family is going to, to make Bailey feel loved, spoilt and cared for when he finally comes home.

I personally would not have had a companion for my own mini, had I not had my Alpacas first. Financially, it would not have been possible for us to purchase two mini's. I want to learn as much as I can with the mini I have, before jumping in and taking on more than I can handle. Surely nobody here would advise somebody to take on another horse when they do not even have the first one home. I just find it irresponsible!

Minis more so than big horses crave the companionship of one of their own. Not that they cannot be made to adjust to a life of solitude, but they do love to play and be with each other.

I was going to buy a single mini but did not have the entire day to spend with him so we made the decision, actually my husband did, that there would be two or none at all. I am in the camp that horses, no matter the size, are happier being with their own kind. They have herd dynamics particular to their species that cannot be fully met by another companion animal. Can they survive, of course, but will they be truly content? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Fantastic response Maplegum!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I agree with you 100% and more!

What really concerns me here, is that certain people are advising New Mini Owner that if she does not get another mini as a companion that she should not get a mini at all, as it is cruel! Am I right?

In my opinion (and it is just my opinion), I find the people advising New Mini Owner to take on a rescue just as bad!

She has stated more than once that she is not in a position to take on two horses (for whatever reasons that are personal to her) so why would people push this fact! IF ANYTHING, taking on a rescue for a new mini owner could be a totally irresponsible choice. Depending on the condition of the rescue, she could be looking at thousands of dollars in vet bills, care etc on a horse that could have very serious pre-existing conditions (that may not be discovered until later down the track)!

The animals that have been discussed in this thread may very well not be suitable, however that should be her choice to make! She should not be made to feel guilty for owning only one horse.

I have also read Maplegum's past posts on little Bailey and I know she too, has been made to feel guilty for only having one horse. Have a look at the lengths her family is going to, to make Bailey feel loved, spoilt and cared for when he finally comes home.

I personally would not have had a companion for my own mini, had I not had my Alpacas first. Financially, it would not have been possible for us to purchase two mini's. I want to learn as much as I can with the mini I have, before jumping in and taking on more than I can handle. Surely nobody here would advise somebody to take on another horse when they do not even have the first one home. I just find it irresponsible!

THank you, VERY much, Girrawheen! :aktion033: You got it, right on! Guys, I do kinda feel just a bit pressured.
default_unsure.png
: 'Don't get a mini unless you can get two", and all. I'm not blaming anyone. But I think my one mini will be fine. I have MORE than enough time, and some of you have said that as long as I spend lots of time with my singal mini, he/she will probably be fine.
default_smile.png
I have 2 and a half hours before I leave in the mornings, with nothing to do. I get home around 2 from whatever I've been doing that day, and I have the rest of the day, doing? Nothing. So I have lots of time. And then there's the weekends...
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just like to clarify that I myself neither said nor implied any such thing. The question here was what do people have as companions for their miniature horses and what would make the best companion for a miniature horse. The answer to that second question is... another horse. In my experience I spent just as much time, money and effort having a goat as I did having another horse so if you are going to be paying to have a second animal anyway (which is what I assumed the OP had planned) then why not just get the second horse?

Horses ARE herd animals, they DO do best with a friend of their own kind. That does NOT mean they can't be kept happily by them selves if they have a dedicated owner. But that wasn't the question asked by the original poster.

I hope that no one here has put that pressure on you the way they put the pressure on me. Make your own decision based on your time limits, finances and space.

Good luck.
default_yes.gif
:

I agree with that the pressure to purchase more then one horse is always so strong I agree that perhaps with a weanling it may not be the best. and some horses might thrive in a single horse home some might not alot of that should really be up to the seller to help the buyer in that decision

A horse does not need you to spend every waking hour with it to be happy. I think really those going slow are doing it smart.. make sure before you jump in and jump in big that horse ownership is for you, that you can handle the emergenices that come up, the time it takes

Do what you feel comfortable with handling for now and when the time comes you feel confident and comfortable in your horse ownership you can add another to your family. It doesnt all have to be done in one day.

No one here can agree what makes a horse content, pasture 24/7 a nice stall with fans and a fly system - show horses, pets, breeding horses , mares who only have foals every year or get sad... everyone is sure that horses kept the way there horses are are the only content ones of course we all want to do what is best for our horses that is only logical.

That said with all the millions of horses in the world .. and all the many hundreds if not thousands of different daily routines amazingly there are still millions of happy well rounded content horses
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I have been reading the responses following my original reply to this post.

I would just like to add that owning a horse is a huge responsibility, not to be taken lightly. Although I am new to miniature horses, I have had larger horses for a big part of my life and know how much of your time and devotion they require. Not to mention the hole burning in your pocket!

Taking on a second horse could be a big mistake if you don't have the time, finances or space. I would ask other people posting responses to questions such as this, to please be careful with your suggestions.

Trying to 'convince' someone to take on a second animal could lead to more issues than that person bargained for. For someone that is completely new to horses, to suddenly take on two new minis, often weanlings, could be disastrous! Like I said, it is a huge responsibility. I don't care what anyone says, two horses ARE more work than one. Simple as that. Let's not overload this poor girl/lady or any other new miniature horse owner.

Yes, I agree, another 'horse' would be the ideal companion for her horse but I certainly wouldn't suggest she takes on a rescue with her lack of experience.

Once again, I hope you are able to make a decision based on what is best for you and your requirements.

Two of anything is going to require a learning curve for two instead of just one animal. A goat or other companion is NOT going to be less work or any less important as far as medical care, food or foot care goes. I agree with Warpony the ideal for a companion for a mini is another mini but if you are just concerned about the extra work, expense etc. then another animal is only going to complicate the matter so the only choice becomes to keep the horse alone. It's certainly your choice alone to make but if you have made up your mind before hand how to best proceed then why bother to ask those on this forum for suggestions?

Those of us who've had them for awhile know their needs better than someone just starting out. Ask those who say it's just fine if they themselves keep only one who is isolated with no companionship whatsoever and the majority if they are honest will say no, they don't.

New Mini Owner
As many people know, I will soon be buying a mini, and so I'm also looking for a companion animal for him. I think a goat would be good, but I'd like to know the ups and downs of goats and other animals. What do you have for a companion for your mini(s)?
This was the original question asked by NewMiniOwner! She states later that two horses are not an option and wishes to know what other animals forum members have used as a companion to their miniatures.

Members posted on goats, Alpacas etc etc and THEN others started to get involved and "guilt" her into thinking that the best animal would be another mini. I do not dispute that another mini would be the ideal companion however, she is unable to take on another horse for whatever reason!

Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too Posted Yesterday, 05:48 PM
Minis more so than big horses crave the companionship of one of their own. Not that they cannot be made to adjust to a life of solitude, but they do love to play and be with each other.

I was going to buy a single mini but did not have the entire day to spend with him so we made the decision, actually my husband did, that there would be two or none at all. I am in the camp that horses, no matter the size, are happier being with their own kind. They have herd dynamics particular to their species that cannot be fully met by another companion animal. Can they survive, of course, but will they be truly content? I don't think so.
Where does this information come from?? I went out to feed my animals yesterday morning and stumbled upon a perfect example of this topic. Under our big pine tree were my Alpcas and mini practically laying on top of one another. They feel comfortable enough to share their space and obviously have ways to "communicate" with each other. Alpacas are used as herd protectors in Australia and fiercly protect lambs, even killing foxes to protect them. If they did not "bond" with other animals surely they would protect themselves and let the lambs fend for themselves but it does not happen!

Again, I am NOT disputing that ideally horses should be put together however, this is not always a viable option for individuals and other animals can work very well, or in the correct environment can do well on their own.

Some of you may remember that I had the same question about 6 weeks ago......and I'm very happy and proud to say that I decided to stay with another Mini as a companion for my blind mare. This week-end I pick up my rescue colt from Chances Miniature Horse Rescue :aktion033:
default_wub.png
: :cheeky-smiley-006:
default_thumbup.gif
:

Thanks to everyone who helped me make my decision between a Mini, a Donk, a Goat or a Lama. What made the difference is that goats, donks and lamas don't 'speak horse'.

Thanks again, Girrawheen.
default_yes.gif
: You guys, I'm NOT blaming anyone, and I really don't want to start an arguement here!
default_wacko.png
: I especially dont want to be the cause of all of it.
default_unsure.png
: So Im just asking this now, please forget all the other questions, here we go- What animals do you have as companions for your mini, BESIDES other minis???? Ok, thanx guys, that's ALL I need to know. :saludando:

Have you maybe a considered a cat? Probably not as good as another mini but they're super easy to keep, get the mice out, and they're pretty easy to find. I bet the local SPCA has a few.

actually not a bad idea our cats and horses (most of them) get along great the cats even share the horse food with them and when it is cold sleep in there stalls

Have you maybe a considered a cat?
Wow, do cats really make good companions??? I have 3 already!!!!! :bgrin And two dogs! Would they be good buddies for the mini, after they are introduced???? All the animals are very friendly, and they always love when we bring home another animal (from flying squirrels, to stray cats.) Lol! Maybe that will work!
default_wub.png
:

Sparrow tries to kill cats and rabbits that wander into his territory. I haven't tried to introduce him to the dogs yet, I'm afraid with the way he reacts to the neighbors cats ands to rabbits that he will try to kick the packing out of the dogs, lol.

You know, I thought of something else... I've also heard of people having those miniature cows. I think they are called dexter cows. I've often wondered how they get along with horses since I'd love to have one. If I had more money I'd have mini horses, mini cows, pygmy goats, highland cows, alpacas, gypsy horses, donkeys, ducks and chickens and heavens knows what else. It would be like having a petting zoo in my back yard.

Of course around here a Dexter cow will cost you more then a nice pet quality mini horse but they are SOOOOO cute.

It sounds like you have many animals around--who's willing and able to stay with the horse?
One of my cats, Mittens was rescued. We were her last chance at life, and we took her home.
default_wub.png
: She loves hanging with the other pets, and is perfectly content laying on a haybale and just sleeping there while the chickens (now gone) would walk around her. We think she would be a very good companion! :bgrin Then there's our dog, Mica. She has adjusted very well to all the other animal, and takes care of them. She grooms the cats, and plays with our other dog. when we had chickens, she always made sure they never strayed far, and she (nor any of the animals) EVER hurt each other!
default_yes.gif
: Mica's like a mommy to all the others.
default_wub.png
:

My advice just enjoy your mini for now and you be their companion!!

They will be just fine!!

Get to know your horse and see how things go!

Then make whatever decision works well for you!

Remember a companion of any kind, whether it be a horse or another animal, do not always make suitable companions!!

I have minis and goats and they get no companionship from one another!!! They are not kept together but neither is remotely interested in the other!

Your mini will become very bonded to you! Just be a good companion!!!!

Not all mini horses get along either!!!

Latest posts

Back