Comfort Food

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyLover2

Reaction score
It's a dreary, cloudy, windy day. Not really cold, but definitely looks it! So I just fixed myself a bowl of oatmeal. Got to thinking that about the only time I have that is when it's that kind of dreary day. Guess it's my "comfort food".

Another of mine is cinnamon toast and hot tea. Specially when I'm feeling bad.

Thought it might be interesting to see if others have any special comfort food that they particularly like.

My old European grandmother used to always give us tea and toast for comfort food...... I have lots of fond memories about that.

Soup is another one of my favorites when it is cold and rainy or snowy. Hot thick vegitable soup.

Lyn

I'm so food obsessed it is ridiculous...

Some of my favorite comfort foods are:

split pea soup (Campbell's condensed is actually my favorite)

mac and cheese

mashed potatoes

this chicken cordon blu thing my mom sometimes makes

hot open faced sandwiches

pumpkin pie

chocolate milk

Oh man, I am hungry again :no:

Yesterday I made chicken fricasse with pumpkin cookies, today I'm making salisbury steak and apple pie. My only love of the cold weather is cooking!

Top of the list has to be

Campbell's tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich

Hot tea (my Mom's remedy for EVERYTHING)

Hot chocolate and toast

Home-made macaroni and cheese and meatloaf

can't think of any others right now, but I think I'm needing some "comforting" lol

I think our wet & dreary weather is making me crave Chicken & Dumplings. Man, those sound so good on a dreary day!

Hot soup, stew or chili, and fresh corn bread.
default_smile.png

I just got done eating one of my favorites: Scrambled Eggs! I have hens and home grown eggs are SOOO GOOD!!

Other comfort food favorites:

>homemade mac n cheese

>meatloaf and mashed potatoes

>homemade soup of any kind

>oatmeal

>chicken 'n dumplings (store bought chicken, not one of my own pets!)

>roast beef, chicken or turkey with roasted veggies too

>just about any casserole (sometimes I invent these by looking at what's in my fridge that needs a home. Cut it up into pieces, mix it with cream of mushroom soup and top with tater tots and you have one of our family favorites. We have a great name for it but it would probably offend some people, so I better not post it here!)

Oh man, I just realized I could go on forever. Like Jill, I am WAY too fixated on food!! But what a fun topic!

Jayne

Chicken and Dumplings for sure! We just had it the other night.

I'm pretty picky, though, and really only like to use chicken breast to make it (Eewww the bones and skin floating around in it aren't fun when hubby makes it...bleah).

Peach or vanilla custard.

Coconut pudding w/toasted coconut topping.

Biscuits and gravy and/or chicken fried steak.

Roasted root vegetables w/rosemary.
default_smile.png

Chili and cornbread.

Liz M.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm dont get me started i used to eat chocolate for a comfort food, the only touble was it was tooooooooo comfortable to eat it lol and i ended up 17 stone,

nowadays my comfort food is tea, and tea, and tea, and it always comes with a piece of FLORENCE CAKE, its like a sponge with icing and a cherry on top lol, and custard creams,,,,, gosh now i know why my weights creeping back up !!!
default_unsure.png
:

im going going now to make a cuppa tea
default_yes.gif
:

:bgrin this is a great topic :bgrin

I love homemade soup, Irish stew, nice cup of hot tea, venison stew (just made some Thursday)

fresh baked bread, take the crust and slather butter on it hot from the oven yummy

No wonder I can't lose weight, well need some comfort again so going for a nice hot cup of tea and a slice of cranberry walnut loaf :bgrin
default_yes.gif
:

Yvonne

Oh, yeah...fooooood...one of my favorite topics!

My favorite comfort foods:

Almost anything that Keith cooks...

Grilled cheese sandwiches

Scalloped potatoes with lots of cheese

(notice this is not my low fat list...)

Any sort of breakfast for dinner

French toast

Omelets

Pancakes

and Keith makes a mean egg/potato scramble

And a couple that I love and Keith won't touch (more for me, hehe)

Sugar-free microwave tapioca pudding

Chai tea

Oh, yeah...fooooood...one of my favorite topics!

My favorite comfort foods:

Almost anything that Keith cooks...

Grilled cheese sandwiches

Scalloped potatoes with lots of cheese

(notice this is not my low fat list...)

Any sort of breakfast for dinner

French toast

Omelets

Pancakes

and Keith makes a mean egg/potato scramble

And a couple that I love and Keith won't touch (more for me, hehe)

Sugar-free microwave tapioca pudding

Chai tea

I am a grilled cheese addict. Its horrible, Chris and I can be on our way home late at night, or be leaving for somewhere early in the morning...Where every we stop to eat I order, Grilled Cheese, Fries, Sweet Tea and a lot of honey mustard, lol. I swear if I don't ease up on the Grilled Cheese I'm going to turn into one, lol. Chai is go good also, I like to have mine cold or blended with ice for a slush during the summer.

Anyway, some of my favorites have always been

King Ranch Chicken with French rolls

Roast with Mashed Potatoes and Brown Gravy

Chicken Fried Steak (plain home made, not any of that frozen or fancy stuff)

Turkey and Cheese on toast

Mac and Cheese - plain elbow macaroni with some salt and pepper, and American cheese layered in and the melted in the oven.

Mashed Potatoes by themselves.

Hot out of the oven Chocolate Chip Cookies with milk

Hot Chocolate with lots of marshmallows

And last but not least....Pecan Pie! I could eat a whole pie if it wouldn't make me sick!

Okay this forum has made me hungry and its 5:40 am here...But, I've got left overs in the fridge...I have an idea, no one else minds. Why don't we start a comfort food recipe swap? Let me know what you all think. I personally think it would be a good way to try new things, and a different spin on old things.

I think a recipe swap is a good idea. Unfortunately there's no special "recipe" for my comfort food favorites - oatmeal and tea with cinnamon toast.
default_wink.png
:

Anytime I was sick my grandmother would make me Sleepytime Tea. I just crave it when I am not feeling good! Toss in hot peanut butter oatmeal cookies and I am in heaven! Add to that:

chicken and dumplings--and not the store bought yucky crap!

brunswick stew--something I discovered here in VA that I had never had before

fresh baked bread--thank goodness for my bread machine. It isn't as good as my grandmothers but is

better than nothing

spicy/cheesey hot spinich dip and toasted homemade bread--yup, another thing my grandma made. It is

about time for me to make some of that!

cheesey-garlicy mashed potatoes--lots of cheese on top!

hot cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting--can you smell it??? mmmmmmm

and the best anytime food...pepperoni pizza. When I am happy, I want pizza. When I am sad, I want pizza. When I am content, I want pizza. When I am PMSing--skip the chocolate and bring me the freaking PIZZA!!!

Amy

Growing up it was my Grandmothers homemade chicken soup with homemade noodles. Unfortunatly She did not share recipe and has been gone for 30 years. Also tapioca pudding with the big pearls, pecan pie and pumpkin pie with lots of whipped creeam. Harder now since it has to be sugar free.
default_wub.png
:

Appylover--you have never had Brunswick stew??? oh you poor dear! When I first heard what was in it I sort of said "yuck" but oh man it is good! My neighbor makes a HUGE 20 gallon pot of it every fall and freezes it in quarts and pints. Somehow he always knows when I am needing it and a little frozen thing of it shows up on my porch table. I pulled this off of a website for you:

"According to one story, Brunswick stew was named for Brunswick County, Virginia, where in 1828 Dr. Creed Haskins of the Virginia state legislature asked for a special squirrel stew from "Uncle Jimmy" Matthews to feed people attending a political rally. Brunswick, Georgia residents claim their stew is the original. It's just as likely the stew - at least a very similar version - was created much earlier. With the original ingredients of game (usually squirrel) and corn, and long simmering over an open fire, it's typical of early native dishes.

Brunswick stew is now most commonly made with chicken, or a combination of several meats, which might include rabbit, beef, and pork. Onions, corn, and tomatoes are usually included, and many recipes call for lima beans, peas, and/or okra. "

Around here all of the churches, fire departments, etc. make huge vats of stew and sell it as fund raiser. It usually has shredded beef and chicken (and I don't want to know what other meats if there are any!!) corn, lima beans, tomatoes, potatoes and other things. It is spicy since they use hot sauce (like tobasco) but they soften the blow of the hot by using sugar I am told. I can't explain it and would never try it on my own, but of MAN is it good!! I have had it with venison in it and really enjoyed that as well. It is a southern thing that I just can't go through the fall and winter without now. Sort of like sweet potatoe pie...just plain YUM! oh yes...that was another thing I had never had before I came here. Ya know, with food like this, no wonder I have made southern VA mu home!

of course as long as there is pizza around I am always happy.
default_wub.png
:

-Amy

PS--you have all made me hungry this morning! It is all your fault I had to throw half a dozen potatoes in the oven and am making crab/cheddar twice stuffed potatoes (and mushrooms!) and have bread rising in the bread machine! Oh mmmmm it smells good in here!

Latest posts

Back