Colt foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiccanz

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a colt foal born, where they could not find any testicles, that later came down as they should??

All my other colts have been born with them down, and they have duly disappeard and reappeared as they should, but my latest colt appears to have nothing!
default_new_shocked.gif

I have tried several times to find them, with no success yet.
default_sad.png
And yes, he's definitely a colt!! And a very nice one (in my humble opinion). :arg!

Help!

No I'm afraid not.

If they are not there within a day of birth I would be really worried indeed.

I believe the cut off point is actually three days of birth but not having experienced it I cannot say for sure.

There is little you can do however- the only real problem would be if you wanted him gelded or sold- if he was going to be kept you lose nothing by waiting.

What I will say is this- there is a huge difference between the chances of his being a true cryptorchid - where one or both testicles are up beyond the inguinal ring, and his being just particularly small and their being retained in the inguinal canal- whilst I would not be happy using such a colt as a stallion as I really do believe the whole problem is hereditary these colts can be gelded almost normally.

I hope I am wrong, I really do, but experience indicates I am not.
default_no.gif

Sorry, mine have all had them present and accounted for at birth.

Robin

Yes, When my colt was weened his testicles disapeared,and then I could only find 1 then when he was about 10 mo. old He started to talk to the mares and I checked low and behold there was 2. I kept emailing the breeder and she kept telling me dont worry that happens alot to her. And some times they dont drop untill they are over 1yr old. Lorie

Oh what a pain!!! These colts and testicles really just drives you mad sometimes
default_frusty.gif
, i hope their there and just hiding!!!

Your vet can check him out and see if they can be felt in there at all.... dont know at what 'age' that works best, but I would have your vet check the little guy out- you never know. I have never had a colt that didnt drop, but I have noticed with all mine, as I check at birth, that they are there and then do the disappearing act later.

I think Brigid can probably check them out as ably as her Vet
default_wink.png

I certainly know my Vet is nowhere near as experienced at finding them as I am- that is not a brag- he is the "Doctor" but I am the midwife!!!

Colts testicles have to be down at birth or you are in trouble- it has been stated this colts were not.

It is pointless stating that you have had a colt retract it's testicles at three months/weaning etc this is NORMAL.

We are talking specifically about at BIRTH here, not a month or two later and I am afraid, as I said, if they are not there, there is a problem.

That being said, I have not ever had personal experience, either of my own or anyone I know, of a Mini colt that was actually a true Cryptorchid.

I have had colts presented to me as such, and have eventually been able to find them, mostly it is only one that is missing and this has almost been strangulated.

|Brigid are you positive there was nothing there at birth- how long after birth did you check???

I do know that the testicles can appear very small at first.

Mostly I look for them when I treat the navel. The colt is on his back and there they are, about the size of small beans. On some colts, they are more "tube" shaped I notice. One little colt, I mistook them for nipples (somehow missing the opening there for his penis) and got excited that I had a filly. UGH. :DOH!

Anyway, I think if you don't catch them early, oftentimes you won't see them again for several months, but this is not always the case. If they are not there, is there a way you can find out if the sire has both down, etc.?

Not that it will help, but it might give a clue as to why.

Good luck and I hope the berries show up soon!

Liz

I think Brigid can probably check them out as ably as her Vet
default_biggrin.png
I like to think so
default_biggrin.png
I am a vet nurse of some years, so I'm used to, err, fiddling around and feeling for things!!
default_new_shocked.gif

Brigid are you positive there was nothing there at birth- how long after birth did you check???
Well, that may be my saving grace. I didn't check for 2 or 3 days, I was so excited I forgot :DOH! Can they disappear that fast?

is there a way you can find out if the sire has both down, etc.?
Oh yes, he most definitely has both!! I showed him in the Supreme line-up for his owner at the weekend - went Supreme Champion under 1 judge! An awesome creature!
default_wub.png

Anyway, I had another feel around today (he's starting to look at me funny
default_rolleyes.gif
), and for a second, I thought I felt a little bullet up there, then it popped off again.

I have to have the vet out to scan a mare soon, maybe I should get him to have a look under sedation, so the little guy is completely relaxed. Wish they were like rabbits, you just hold them up and watch the little suckers drop into their sacks!!
default_biggrin.png

I think you have short cords there- they will need some help- you need to embarrass the heck out of him and keep rummaging- once you have them, keep at it.

This could be serious as most colts that have their testicles too high have short cords and ....erm....manipulating them (
default_wink.png
) can put this right!!!

Latest posts

Back