colt castration?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamarack

Reaction score
This is my first time posting and I have a question about what age to castrate a colt? He has been bity since the hour he was born, is this normal? He is also very head/ear shy and all I do is love him. Any suggestions? Thank you

Tamarack

As long as he's dropped, he can be gelded. Some geld as young as a few months old, others wait til spring of yearling year.

As long as his testicles are dropped, he can be castrated as young as a few WEEKS old.

As for his head and ear shyness........Keep loving on him. Hold him gentley, but firmly and massage his ears and head. Always end things on a positive note -- in other words, as soon as he relaxes and allows you to pet him where you want for even a few seconds, let him go.

If he fights you and you let him get away with it, he will learn that if he argues with you enough, he'll get his way!

MA

My little stud muffin is scheduled for his snippy-snip on the 18th. He is 8 months old. He has been very nippy. I have bruises and blood blisters all over my arms from him. Back in January I was scheduled for a c-section to deliver my baby girl. The day before my colt bit me on my butt. In the operating room one of the nurses asked me what happened. I had them all laughing when I told them that a 4 month old miniature horse colt bit me the day before. They couldn't believe such a little animal could do such a thing. He is sooooooo sneaky. He has shown classic stud behavior since March. He dirties his water bucket. He urinates on top of manure. etc... He just can't get over himself. I weaned him at 6 months old and he has been pastured by himself since. He is also very "head shy". What I have learned is that it is a control behavior. I have also learned that there is still hope for him after he is gelded. This is my first time with a colt as well. All my life I have had mares. I have been very patient with him. Every morning he acts like he has no clue of who I am and wants to attack me as I'm walking him out to turn out. It takes him 15 minutes to "give-up" and realize I'm the same person as the day before. I feel so bad for him. He seems to be so confused. It seems like the more time I spend with him the worse he becomes. One more week to go!! Yeah :aktion033:

.... He is 8 months old. He has been very nippy. I have bruises and blood blisters all over my arms from him. .... I have also learned that there is still hope for him after he is gelded. .... I have been very patient with him. ....
This colt has more problems than his family jewels. He has gotten away with this behavior. It sounds to me like you have been far too patient with him. He needs to know that he will NOT get away with doing this.

Here's what I always say...If he were a large 15+HH stud colt, would you allow this behaviour to go on??? Just because they are small and cute doesn't mean you can allow them to get away with biting and nipping!! What if a small child comes over, or an elderly person who has extremely thin skin? This is NOT acceptable behaviour! Gelding him should help, but you really must teach him that this is not good! Other horses in a herd would bite or kick him back if he tried that, so a quick yank on the lead rope wouldn't hurt him any. Or try using a plastic water/pop bottle with some rocks in it and a quick sharp shake will make lots of noise to help correct that problem.

Latest posts

Back