Colour

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickysminis

Reaction score
Hi

I have asked this question before but i didn't have any pictures. This time (hopefully, if i have done it right) there should be pictures.

I have a yearling colt out of a spotted mare and homozygous skewbald stallion.

As you can see in the pictures he is skewbald with paw prints, but also has a spotted muzzle and round his eyes and he has roaning on his neck.

We recently entered a coloured class, judged purely on colour and he was last. Would this have been because of his mixed markings?

sly_1.jpg

sly_headshot.jpg

I apologise for the size of the pictures but it's the only way i could get them on here.

Nicky

Color class depends a lot on the personal preference of the judge. A lot of people dont like a sorrel horse and will place other colors above it just because of their preference and another judge will place it first if they like that color. A good judge will go so far as to see how evenly the horse is marked on both sides and how bright and healthy the color looks. Your horse seems to have some roaning in places and that may dull out the color in a class so the judge may not think he looks as sharp as the one next to him. Dont be discouraged because of one show because other judges have different opinions.

Color class depends a lot on the personal preference of the judge. A lot of people dont like a sorrel horse and will place other colors above it just because of their preference and another judge will place it first if they like that color. A good judge will go so far as to see how evenly the horse is marked on both sides and how bright and healthy the color looks. Your horse seems to have some roaning in places and that may dull out the color in a class so the judge may not think he looks as sharp as the one next to him. Dont be discouraged because of one show because other judges have different opinions.
Thank-you for your reply.

I love him, even if that judge didn't, i guess that's all that matters!

There really is no right or wrong in a color class it is like blondes or brunettes or red heads
default_wink.png

All just about what that judge likes and is drawn to some might like minimal white others may prefer a lot of white. Some like appy over pinto, some like even markings others prefer different on both sides it really is one of the most subjective classes at a show so do not worry to much.

The next judge might just love his markings
default_smile.png

Okay here are the bigger pictures OF THIS STUNNING horse,

and by the way i have a filly I think is pretty but the judge placed her at 5th as it is based ENTIRELY on the judges opinion

209hvcx.jpg

qx02mf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
default_wub.png
:wub He looks like a beautiful red roan pinto to me!!!!!!!! I would keep entering him in shows...he has just as much chance of winning as any other horse entered!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

That white flecking is not "Roan" it is Sabino roan, part of his pattern, and it is expressing because he is a Red based male....patterns express loudest on Red based Males!!

I actually do not think the mottling round his nose is Appy, I think that again is Sabino.

Where he is placed, in any class, is always a bit of a lottery....was it a Mini class??

Was it based on pattern or conformation (the schedule should tell you this), there are many things in play in a class like this.

He is well enough marked, it's true, but against a smartly marked Bay and White ....well, it's really down to the Judges preference at the end of the day!!

Don't give up, try again, next time you could be first!!!

Thank-you for all your replies.
default_biggrin.png

Rabbitsfizz - It was at a miniature horse show and there were about 15 entries in the class. It was judged purely on colour. I guess he just wasn't that judges cup of tea!

After all the encouragement i think i will try some more coloured classes and see what happens.

Thanks again

Nicky

Hello,

He's really cute! Im not real experienced at showing however, what I have learned from clinics and shows I have participated in is that even though its judged on color only they are also looking for coat condition as well so you can have a super pretty filly and if her coat or mane and tail is dull or mane and tail is "frizzy" they can count down for that. They are looking for rich vibrant colors without showing signs of sunbleaching etc.

Also Im not sure which club "amha or amhr" that their color class is 80% color and 20% conformation just so you know. <Maybe someone here knows for sure>

best of luck and its always "just one judges opinion". I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back