Colour question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My yearling filly was registered by the breeders as a Black Buckskin. They weren't sure of her colour and that was a best guess.

Now that she has lost most of her baby fluff I'm wondering if she might be a Liver Chestnut.

Mother Bay with Bay and Chestnut parents.

Daddy Palomino with Black and Palomino parents.

Any thoughts?

The color calculator has these results when the colors you provided were put in:

25.00% -​
Palomino

25.00% -​
Red (Chestnut/Sorrel)

21.88% -​
Buckskin

21.88% -​
Bay

3.13% -​
Smoky Black

3.13% -​
Black

So the only way to really know for sure is have her color tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beleive, black buckskin is how some refer to smokey black, but I might be wrong on that.

Pictures please, they always help for color questions.

Pics please
default_smile.png

If you raise her tail and look at the color on either side of her butt, that can give you a good idea of her shed out color. We have some sooty or smutty buckskins and wondering if that may be what the breeders were trying to describe? We also have a smokey silver black who is the color of a milk chocolate bar with a only shade lighter mane and tail, so maybe that could be a color possibility? I think when cream and silver genes combine, you often don't see the usual silver dapple black coloring.

Do you have pictures?

you say Mother is Bay with Bay and Chestnut parents thats not possible , Id love to see pics because someone must be registered wrong

Also, you may already know, but take with a grain of salt the ancestor's colors if you yourself haven't seen and known what they truly are. The colors are confusing to many, and especially if that silver gene is around (and I'm a silver fan!). Hope you can share pics. I'm interested to see and give the color my best estimation!

you say Mother is Bay with Bay and Chestnut parents thats not possible , Id love to see pics because someone must be registered wrong
A bay is very possible from bay and chestnut parents; no reason to think someone is registered wrong in this particular case.

YAY - MORE color fun!!!

Yes, agree w/ above on the bay from bay/chestnut. Also, remember a chestnut can carry (and pass on) a bay gene. It doesn't "show" on a red based horse (chestnut, palomino or cremello).

If your horse is black based and doesn't appear to be bay - no bay gene. However, remember that a silver gene can make a bay look like a chestnut even when they aren't...

And yes the silver gene can be in many different shades - just as with any other color. Always fascinating!! I LOVE silvers...

Latest posts

Back