Colour Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrymini

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what colour my pintaloosa mare could be. Her sire is registered as a Brown Appy and dam is reg Black Pinto. I havent seen photos of the dam but her sire looks like a smokey black or possibly a dark liver chestnut. Grand sires and dams aren't listed so have no idea what colours are back there. Here are some current summer photos of my girl, approx 7 years old.

DSC_0108.JPGDSC_0103.JPGDSC_0096.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, but she looks blue roan to me.

Pintaloosa for sure, that I do know!

Blue Roan has been niggling in the back of my mind too, if only we could see what she was hiding under those white legs!

This is a tough one. But she is a cute little horse! Love the speckled nose
default_smile.png

If blue roan I think silver must also be in there, normally with roan the head is dark...also where the dark body color comes up her neck the mane should be black but on your gal it is white....so either greying out blck pintaloosa or silver black roan pintaloosa.

I would say she's going grey. Do you have a baby pic?

She is a very typical black varnish pintaloosa. I do not see roan, silver or grey. Look how vivid those black spots are. They would be fading as well if she were grey. Look how dark the areas on her face are-no silver. Her head is not completely dark like a roan should be. She is a black varnish pintaloosa
default_smile.png

Seems like with appy all color rules pretty much go out the window. I'm going to say a black varnish roan pintaloosa, and its appy (varnish) and/or sabino giving that graying look. [Varnish roan is a type of appy pattern. I have a silver bay varnish roan gelding, and his coloring is nothing like my other silver bay.]

[Amanda and I must of been posting at the same time.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Roan- they lose the spots just like a Grey.

Not Grey- they lose the spots just like a ......Roan???

Could br Sabino, but, in the interests of Occams Razor (simplest answer is usually the right one) I would go for Varnish. They are not usually this clear though, and she does have a lot of white- I wonder if this is Sabino- it is supposed to help Appy express, which would explain the very clear black spots.....

I'd say she's black base. Very pretty she is too! The photo of her sire, he looks black base to me as well. He could be seal brown but the color he is on the photo I looked at is exactly what appaloosa does to black. Her roaning pattern (not to be confused with roan) is from the pinto. I like her.

Thanks everyone, black varnish does look like the culprit. This is her as a littlie.

IMG_1256.jpg

She is a very typical black varnish pintaloosa. I do not see roan, silver or grey. Look how vivid those black spots are. They would be fading as well if she were grey. Look how dark the areas on her face are-no silver. Her head is not completely dark like a roan should be. She is a black varnish pintaloosa
default_smile.png
Nailed it!!!!

Latest posts

Back