Colour Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicole-DownUnder

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone would be able to help me in finding out what the colour codes are for AMHA.

For example, I am wondering about the colour of a colt i'm looking at buying, and the colour code for his sire is DSL. I know that his sires sire is cremello and sires dam is black, so figured he'd have to be buckskin or smokey black, and possibly palomino!!

The reason i'm asking is that I was told he is a black, but after seeing his pics, i'm not sure, and think he could be a buckskin.

Any help would be appreciated.........THANKS

Nicole

Thanks William
saludando.gif

Although, now i'm really confused, lol. I can't for the life of me see how this horse can be a Silver Dapple.

The sire is "Little Kings Casper Buck" who is a cremello from what I understand, and his dam is a black/brown mare, which I do have a picture of her. There is no way possible that this horse could be a Silver Dapple coming from parents of these colours.

Finding this a little odd, but now wondering if he could possible be a light buckskin? When people on here mention the Silver Buckskin colour, is that just the type of shading of Buckskin or is there also the silver gene?

Thanks

Nicole

Nicole-DownUnder said:
Thanks William 
saludando.gif

Although, now i'm really confused, lol.  I can't for the life of me see how this horse can be a Silver Dapple.

The sire is "Little Kings Casper Buck" who is a cremello from what I understand, and his dam is a black/brown mare, which I do have a picture of her.  There is no way possible that this horse could be a Silver Dapple coming from parents of these colours.

Finding this a little odd, but now wondering if he could possible be a light buckskin?  When people on here mention the Silver Buckskin colour, is that just the type of shading of Buckskin or is there also the silver gene?

Thanks

Nicole

502307[/snapback]

A Cremello could easily hide the silver gene and pass it on. Silver Buckskin is Buckskin with a Silver gene added that tends to lighten the mane, tail, and legs.

No worries, thanks for that, I guess i'll never know then, unless you can test for the silver gene now. Little Kings Casper Buck is full brother to LK Bonita Buckeroo (SBS), LK Crystal Buckeroo (SCR), LK Glory Buck (SBS), LK Major Bucks (SCR) & the gorgeous LK Buckeroo Zodiac (SCR). I guess it's possible then that some of them could carry the silver gene, and the buckskins could be silver buckskins??? Does anyone have any pics of any of the Buckskins? I'm guessing the silver gene could then come from Smiths Buttermilk Two, as she has unknown parentage. A pic of her would be great too if someone has one.

Here is a pic of the colt with his dam that is by the ?silver dapple (cremello x black)

HORSES_RothlynneBucksBlackGold1.jpg

I do have another one, but it's not letting me download it to photobucket, but he looks a creamy colour with a black mane & tail. I'll keep trying and see what I can do.

Thanks again.

Nicole

Why couldnt he be a silver dapple? Of coarse you know he carrys the cream gene. He has to if he is out of a cremello.

The foal looks smutty buckskin to me. Hard to tell with the sun and the angle of the foal.

Ashley said:
Why couldnt he be a silver dapple?
502434[/snapback]

I guess I should have said that differently!!!!! When I said that I couldn't see that it was possible for him to be a silver dapple, is because there is no evidence of that with colours of sire & dam. I was of the understanding that black doesn't hide the silver gene and has to show it, and his dam is a black pinto, i've seen pics. Now i've also seen pics of his sire, and it appears that he is most likely a smokey black afterall, and the wrong colour has been put on his papers. It was in fact the sire that I was saying was registered as a silver dapple, not the foal i'm looking at buying............he is apparently black, which of course is VERY possible.

Could Buckeroo have had the silver gene???? If not, then i'm guessing that it could be coming from Smiths Buttermilk Too, as the colours of her sire and dam are unknown, although she is a buckskin.

In any case, i'm going to have the foal tested for the cream gene, just out of curiosity, as i'm not buying him for colour, it's his type, conformation and bloodlines that i'm interested in.

I just thought i'd ask why his sire would be registered as a silver dapple when on the information I have received regarding pedigree, there is nothing of the colour mentioned. Tell me, do black based silver dapples ALWAYS have a silver/white mane & tail or can it be the same colour as the body??? I'm just trying to learn a little more about this, that's all.

Nicole

edited........I will post pics of the sire and dam of this colt as soon as I have confirmation from the photographer!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicole that colt looks Buckskin to me, do you have any other pictures. Also I am a little confused...are you thinking of buying the colt in the picture??? Is he by a Black, did you say?? It is not possible to test for Silver but it is possible to test for Cream, telling you if the mare carries it. As far as I know it is Buckeroo who is carrying the Silver gene, in the States it is acceptable (For some reason I do not understand) to dye a Silver Buckskin's blond mane and tail Black- look at pictures of Alvadars Double Destiny through the years!! It was not until I saw a picture of Buckeroo as a foal that the penny dropped.

rabbitsfizz said:
Nicole that colt looks Buckskin to me, do you have any other pictures.  Also I am a little confused...are you thinking of buying the colt in the picture???  Is he by a Black, did you say??  It is not possible to test for Silver but it is possible to test  for Cream, telling you if the mare carries it.  As far as I know it is Buckeroo who is carrying the Silver gene, in the States it is acceptable (For some reason I do not understand) to dye a Silver Buckskin's blond mane and tail Black- look at pictures of Alvadars Double Destiny through the years!!  It was not until I saw a picture of Buckeroo as a foal that the penny dropped.
502459[/snapback]

According to the rule book......It is against the rules to dye a horses mane & tail ANY color other than it's "natural" color. Anyone dying the light mane & tail of a Silver Buckskin to black is breaking the rules! Altho.....I still see it done ALL THE TIME.
no.gif
Rules are only meaningful if they are enforced.
rolleyes.gif

That being said....many buckskin foals are born with light tails, and then the dark hairs grow in eventually. So, I wouldn't base what color an adult's tail should be just by how it looked as a foal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jane & Dona.............ok, i'm looking at buying the colt in the picture, and as soon as I saw it, I thought, he looks buckskin, but the breeder is saying he's black. His sire on the other hand, is the one that is registered as a silver dapple "BP Casper Bucks Omar" and he is the is by "LK Casper Buck" (Boones Little Buckeroo x Smiths Buttermilk Two) and out of a black pinto, "LK Sheba Supreme" (Komokos Little King Supreme x Mini Hoofs Little Lady).

I wasn't aware that Buckeroo was a silver Buckskin. I have a photo of this colts sire that I received yesterday, but I just want it ok'd to be posted on here. I'll post a pic as soon as I can.

When I get the colt, i'm going to do the cream test, but as I said, i'm not fussed on his colour, although it is a bonus, it's just that he didn't look like he was a black in the photo. I do have another pic that is clearer Jane, but for some reason it's not letting me download it to photobucket. I'll keep trying though
biggrin.gif
!!

BTW, hair dying is NOT allowed over here either.

THANKS again

Nicole

Latest posts

Back