Colour Experts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
Hey Everyone
default_smile.png
I got this filly a couple months ago she is a shetland mare (mini height) ; I thought she was just solid coloured, but noticed she has a white strip on her belly? Her FULL sibling is a splash overo also appears to be sabino, I believe.. Her sire is a bay but from the "Rock E Line" and has thrown a lot of bald faced colourful foals , He appears to be solid bay and her dam appears to be solid gray! Quite the mystery to me! Should I be testing her? could she carry LWO I don't really know how that stuff works? Also where can I get the testing for colour done?

Also this is my new mare Martins Mardi Gras Jazztime Jubilee

Thanks to Mike and Lisa Strassle for another awesome horse <3

jubjub.jpg

Jazzzzy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you plan to breed her, I'd test her for LWO, unless you know your stallion is negative or any you might breed her to are negative.

I don't know my white patterns well enough to guess which she might have.

And, OMG! She's just stunning. I'd like one like her in my herd.

Thanks! Okay will test I thought she was solid all this time lol :s Shes just in pasture condition in the body shot there shes just coming 3
default_smile.png

Thanks! Okay will test I thought she was solid all this time lol :s Shes just in pasture condition in the body shot there shes just coming 3
default_smile.png
You might be able to do a little investigative work, and find out if either of her parents tested positive for LWO (or negative for that matter). If both tested negative, no need to test; if neither were tested or either tested positive, then test her before breeding.

I would lay money on her being LWO, so, please, get her tested. There is no way, whatever else she is, that she is "Solid" why on earth would she be described as solid?

She has two white socks and a crazy blaze, so she obviously has at least two patterns,-,

She is beautiful!
default_yes.gif

I would get her tested before breeding to a stallion that is not KNOWN to be LWO negative. You could probably get her registered with the Pinto Association based on the strip on her belly if you wanted. They would just label her "overo" because you really can't tell the actual pattern(s) just by looking. Very pretty girl!

she looks LWO+ and Splash to me , Id test to be sure , beautiful filly

If you plan to breed her, I'd test her for LWO, unless you know your stallion is negative or any you might breed her to are negative.

I don't know my white patterns well enough to guess which she might have.

And, OMG! She's just stunning. I'd like one like her in my herd.
You took the words right out of my mouth (er... off my key board?) She IS absolutely stunning. Devon, you have very good taste in horses. And yes, get her tested before breeding she is definitely an overo and may carry LWO, you won't know until you test.

I'm not a color expert, and she may or may not carry LWO, but she certainly carries sabino. Characteristics are a crooked blaze, a chin spot, and white socks with spears pointing up. May have white on belly.

Thanks guys and I don;t know why I thought she was solid LOL I told you I know NOTHING about colour patterns at all never had a horse with anything overo about them lol interesting.. Where can I send stuff to have her tested?

I use Animal Genetics usually (just google them). Rock E bred horses are known for sabino and splash, which I think your girl is. Depending on the rest of her lines she could have the LWO gene thrown in too, but i'm guessing she's probably just sabino and splash.

forgot to add-she is GORGEOUS!

A horse can be a solid and still be LWO + I had a colt born here last year - solid grullo - that was positive for LWO. The only give away was his blue eyes.

Hi Devon! Of course you can test her if you want to, but I'll put money on her being negative for Frame.
default_smile.png

The Rock E line is full of Splash and Sabino, but not frame.
default_smile.png
Jubilee's mother's line carries splash as well.
default_smile.png

I've found Splash to be a very unpredictable color pattern - you just never know how much of it is going to express itself!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Devon! Of course you can test her if you want to, but I'll put money on her being negative for Frame.
default_smile.png

The Rock E line is full of Splash and Sabino, but not frame.
default_smile.png
Jubilee's mother's line carries splash as well.
default_smile.png

I've found Splash to be a very unpredictable color pattern - you just never know how much of it is going to express itself!
Thanks Lis
default_smile.png
Also thanks for Jubilee lol <3

A Pinto horse with two solid legs??

I would test for LWO every single time.

And Riverrose- Sabino causes a regular blaze + chin spot- it is Splash that causes in irregular blaze.

OMG Just STUNNING, actually NO I mean she is HIDEOUS and you should send her to me and I will hide her away for you
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back