Colors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuelqhs

Reaction score
I see people calling horses colors that don't seem to be in the rulebook. For example

Dunalino

Dunskin

Paloosa

Just to name a few. So if the color is not in the rule book why call them that?

Also please list some of the weaird colors you have heard of. I'd like to know whats out there I haven't heard yet.

please play nice, i'm not trying to start a fight, just asking a question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunskin is a Buckskin that is also Dun

Dunalino is a Palomino which also has Dun

Appaloosa is a spotted coat pattern

Pintaloosa is a Pinto with Appy markings.

No , they are not made up anymore than Silver Black, Silver Bay etc.

They are descriptions of patterns and colours that have been previously unknown/unused, that's all.

For example:-

Silver Smoky Cream Dun

says exactly what the animal is!!!

I already knew what they ment. Was wanting to know why if everyone calls their horses this why is there not a color option for this on the papers?

a paloose is a palomino apploosa, just saw that one last night.

Because, quite simply, the REGISTRIES that created the rule books did not do a sufficient amount of color genetics RESEARCH before they published the color choices!

You can't rely on the options in the rule book! They are inadequate and quite often INcOrreECT!!!!!

Having raised Appaloosas for over 30 years, I have NEVER heard the term Paloosa used. The original name was Palouse, which was warped into a palouse or Appaloosa eventually.

It has nothing to do with base color, so I agree that if someone is using paloosa as a color term then yes, they made it up. It is not recognized by ApHC or other Appaloosa breeders and would never be an option on their paperwork. The regular base colors are listed- black, bay, sorrel, palomino, dun, etc.... and then the color pattern is chosen as well.

I think the color thing is well sometimes informative sometimes not the one i find that I personally am most shall we say confused by is Dun, dunskin, dunalino ect.. Most of these horses dont have any dun characteristics that there registry says are needed to be called a dun which is primitave markings from leg barring to cobwebbing ect so me personally I call them either a buckskin or whatever

Sometimes I think they are used as catchy phrases no different then the new "breeds" or mixes of dogs
default_yes.gif
:

Lisa I have to disagree (as you know!!)

Dun in America obviously means a different colour/pattern/dilute to the rest of the world as I have yet to find anyone in Europe that understands the "leg barring" (which we call a "Zebra Dun" and is relatively rare) "face cobwebbing" (unknown) etc rule.

And I am talking about people who fully understand the difference between a Buckskin and a Dun.As you know Rabbit is a Red Dun- I have still to find any leg barring on him, although he quite obviously, from his offspring, is a Dun.

I have never found any leg barring on any of his children, either, and the normal 50%, roughly, have been Dun of some kind.

Palomino -Dun is easily shortened to Dunalino.

Dunskin is easier than saying Buckskin- Dun etc.

Grullo is another American term for Black Dun- so should we drop Grullo as well??

So long as the term is understandable and makes sense (and Paloose obviously does not make sense- the base colour , as said, is irrelevant, Appy is a pattern not a colour) I cannot see the problem.

Well I found something out a few weeks ago. You know how to tell if a horse is a palomino? They have that stripe down their back
default_unsure.png
: Unfortuanatly I didn't have the heart to tell the guy his horse is a DUN b/c of the stripe not a palomino. And the horses color in general is definatly not a palomino. Poor guy is misinformed but it shows there are people out there who are uneducated about horse colors. Heck I have a book on it and there are color patterns and descriptions I've NEVER heard of but have seen that color of a horse before. I remember when I got my first mini and I had to update his registration papers and also file for AMHR papers. He's a seal brown and that's what I put. But when we were at a show and a friend of ours commented on the color I had registered him at and she said that I was wrong on his color that he was really a bay. I told her to point out his black points to me and then I'd change it. Well he doesn't have any and she had a very hard time trying to find markings that aren't there. Even one of the stewards was suprised that I had actually looked into the proper color of my horse. I think there are more colors & color patterns that are more common then we think but just we aren't educating and reasearching these things ourselves. I know I didn't for a while.

And then you just think it's safe to open a genetics book again and along comes the Barlink dilution (DO NOT PANIC it is as yet, unknown in Minis!!)

The original name was Palouse, which was warped into a palouse or Appaloosa eventually.
Don't know much about the other colours, but I do know (as HG Farm pointed out
default_smile.png
) that the term Appaloosa was named after the Palouse tribe, and the "spotted horses" that they had. It then went into how they had "A Palousa" and finally to Appaloosa. :lol:

Just a bit of colour history for ya!

Erin

Latest posts

Back