coloring ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
I have a colt that's dam is grulla and site is black and white. I thought that he was grulla but now I am not sure. I will post photos later but without testing is there a way to know if he's black and white or grulla? thanks

would it be seen if he still has his wooly coat? I tried to clip his butt, but he wouldn't let me and I had no help

Ok lets see if this shows up. Again I couldn't get his butt clipped as I had no help so just showing his coloring right now but I will try to see if theres a stripe

another

photo above was used with a flash so it appears hes lighter but actually hes not a brownish town near his eye its actually darker in the flesh

DSC_0288-1.jpg

Ok so I looked closer as its light out and I don't tthink there is a dorsal stripe so then he is most likely a black correct?

I also have a grulla mare that I bred to my dilute black stallion. When her filly was born she was steel grey color and when clipped the first summer had a faint strip and black points, so guess what I registered her as grulla. NOPE! She is dilute black now. YOur foal also looks to be black. Actually it took me four breeding to this mare to finally get a true dun.

ok so I clipped the colt he has no dorsal stripe and looks a lot darker almost black black so he would not be a grulla? I am going to have him color tested I have to pull hairs out correct ?

Yes you would pull mane or tail hairs. Of course that would be after you have gotten the test "kit" with the instructions.

Yes you would pull mane or tail hairs. Of course that would be after you have gotten the test "kit" with the instructions.
Where do you get your test "kit" from? Who tests for Grulla?

I send tail hair (from foals) and mane hair from older ponies to Animal Genetics in Florida. I print the form off the internet http://www.horsetesting.com/Equine.asp and mail it in. Usually have results via email w/i 48 hours (if I don't send on Friday like I did once, LOL!!l).

Yes the test "kit" I was referring to is simply the printed out paper/papers from whoever you sre having run the test LOL. My understanding is that a Grulla is actually a black dun. I believe UCDavis has the test for the dun gene. others may have it as well not sure as I have not had to have a horse tested for that gene yet. I also normally use Animal genetics and last I remember they didnt have the test for dun yet but I could be wrong as have not checked lately. I also agree with mane hair from adults and tail hair from foals.

ETA: just looked and yes UCDavis does have dun test. I've never used them but here is the link.

http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/horse.php

hope the link works...

Last edited by a moderator:
would test would you run for this colt for sure tabiano but is it a waste of time as he might not be or would you run it?

he does have two blue eyes if that matters

DSC_0178-1.jpg

I personally would only pay to run the LWO test on him and only if I ever planned on breeding him. Others would maybe want to run other tests but for me it does not really matter unless I plan on breeding that horse. He is obviously some type of pinto pattern and if you intend to breed then you need to know if he is LWO positive. If he is then you should have all mares that you intend to breed him to tested before breeding. Could save you some heartache. Check this page out

http://www.horsetesting.com/LWO.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
His sire has tested LWO neg so wouldn't he test Neg as well or should i still test him? I haven't decided if I was keepin him yet or not

His sire has tested LWO neg so wouldn't he test Neg as well or should i still test him? I haven't decided if I was keepin him yet or not
His dam would have to test negative for LWO, too, to skip testing the colt if you plan to use him for breeding.

Latest posts

Back