Color Testing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandra L.

Reaction score
I recently purchased a mare that is said to be a frame overo. So before I even consider breeding would someone please tell me something about overos. I am thinking I need to have her tested to make sure she either does or does not carry the LWO gene.

Basically all I know is no LWO positive to another LWO pos. So does that mean you can go LWO pos. to LWO neg? I don't want to intentionally kill a foal. I would be devastated.

I would be more than happy to do this private, I don't want to bug anyone. Do I need to test for anything else?

thanks

Congrats on your new mare!! Yes, you want to be sure to test for LWO...and yes it is safe to breed LWO+ to LWO- just not LWO+ to LWO+!!!

What color is she? Can you post pics...that way we can help answer your color testing question better!

Any horse that is not LWO+ is LWO-
default_wink.png

So long as you breed to an animal that has been tested LWO- and you see the test result (sorry, trust no-one!!) then you will be safe.

It is important that even a solid looking horse has been tested negative, as sometimes you just cannot tell by looking.

Latest posts

Back