Color Question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chamomile

Reaction score
I was just wondering if you guys find that the silver bays produce more colors than the silver dapples when bred? It seems to me that you are capable of getting some pretty colors out of the silver bays, but mostly just silver dapples out of the silver dapples. If anyone has pictures of foals they have gotten out of silver bays that are NOT silver will you please post them here? Thank you!

Our silver bay mare has given us 4 beautiful foals - all a different color: we have a light golden palomino filly, a silver buckskin stallion, a sorrel filly and a red roan colt. How's that for variety??? I'll try to post the pics.

Angel_3_1_.JPG

bucky_07-07-13_cropped_sm.jpg

Maddie_06_-2.jpg

Slick2.jpg

Janis can you tell me what color the sires of each of the different color foals were?,

Thanks

Amy

Janis can you tell me what color the sires of each of the different color foals were?,

Thanks

Amy
Amy, same sire for all of them. Our silver buckskin stallion. We just love him. He puts such gorgeous foals on the ground for us and every one is a big surprise because we never know what we're gonna get. It's that "box of chocolates" thing!!
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a huge potential variety of colors........We have a genetically silver bay mare, who also carries the gray gene (from Blue Boy) and the frame overo gene (LWO+)(from Rowdy, along with a blue eye). She is bred to our chestnut tobiano stallion in my avatar and the list of posible colors from this cross is very long. You can run it yourself at http://www.horsetesting.com/CCalculator1.asp. The mare is homozygous for black and the sire is heterozygous for tobiano and carries agouti (but not silver). We don't really care what color the foal is as long as it is alive and healthy. We have waited a long time for this one!!!

My matriarch silver bay mare, Sooner States Melody, who also is strong in sabino and perhaps splash(bald face, white on lower lip, high white behind w/'points', one blue eye, one brown) is 25+ years old. I have had her since she was not yet 3(and already had a foal--
default_no.gif
!). She has produced: by a solid silver-a solid silver. By a solid black--a solid black and a solid, darker in tone than herself, silver bay; by a black tobi pinto--a silver tobi pinto, and a black tobi pinto; by a palomino--a solid mahogany bay, and a hard-to-classify??, fully sabino roaned, baldfaced, high white behind, horse that appears to be black or dark silver based(I know, same thing, essentially!)-but is so 'roaned' it is kind of hard to tell! His mane and tail are essentially the same 'fully roaned' tone as his body, but he does have the black 'edging' on his mane that many duns or buckskins can have(and as Fjords have!) So, what is HE?? There was also a late term aborted foal by the palomino who was the only other to have the facial and leg markings of the dam, but it had no hair so couldn't tell what color it would have been. Sorry I don't know how or have pictures in a form that could be posted here(maybe SOMEDAY!)

In my experience, a silver does tend to produce more silvers and less variety than a silver bay--but that is based on a very small 'sample'!! You may well be 'on to' something, though--an astute observation.

Margo

This is our silver bay stallion whose sire and dam are both loud sorrel pintos.

Lance250A.jpg

Some of his offspring.......

Bred to a palomino pinto mare

Cameo190.jpg

and same palomino pinto mare

Stetson-250-1-mod.jpg

Bred to a solid black mare

Evehead250.jpg

Bred to a silver dapple mare

Juliet-250-2.jpg

Bred to a silver bay minimal pinto mare

Ranger-250-3.jpg

Bred to a blue roan mare

Olivia_250.jpg

Bred to a chestnut mare

Legend-190.jpg

Bred to a black pinto mare

Escalade-190.jpg

Other examples can be found on the "Sold" page of our website http://www.ThousandOaksRanch

Look for foals that have "Lancelot" in their names. He produces a great variety in colors with very few silver bays produced.

SBrown,

Of course I am proud to add to the list of Lancelots offspring ... my beautiful golden palomino colt, shown in my avatar, Thousand Oaks Lancelots Lexus!
default_wub.png
Hopefully my future driving partner! He is a June 06 foal, coming 2yr old. His dam was a buckskin.

Talk about a "mini" world - the silver bay (gray frame overo) mare I mentioned above is sired by a stallion now owned by Thousand Oaks - Cross Country Call Me Awesome. He is a bay (not silver bay) frame overo.

a little off original topic ... I have an CC Call Me Awesome colt too! (blue roan with one blue eye) This color topic amazes me and I understand how waiting for foals just to see what is produced can be exciting! I am waiting for my mare bred back to Awesome for April ... hoping for a pinto this time!
default_rolleyes.gif

WOW thank you so much guys! This is exactly what I was expecting! I love all the colors that are possible from this little guys
default_biggrin.png
I really appreciate this!

I have a silver bay Cross Country mare. She is a double bred Lazy N Redboy granddaughter and she's bred to a silver bay Redboy son for this spring. Redboy is a silver bay and there are a LOT of silver bays coming from his line!
default_smile.png

I love silvers and silver bays and am looking for a lot of color from all of mine!

Sorry, but this statement cannot be correct genetically. Two Sorrels cannot produce a Bay (Silver or otherwise). Sorrels/Chestnuts do not carry a Black gene. Sorrel/Chestnut can hide Agouti (Bay) and Silver, but not Black. Bay does carry at least one Black gene One of the parents had to be a mis marked Silver Bay.

Wish I had a nickel for every Silver Bay that is mis registered as a Sorrel/Chestnut.

One of the parents had to be a mis marked Silver Bay.
I have to jump in here and open my mouth!
default_biggrin.png
His sire is Cross Country Call Me Sir who is a silver bay pinto.
default_smile.png

Sorry, but this statement cannot be correct genetically. Two Sorrels cannot produce a Bay (Silver or otherwise). Sorrels/Chestnuts do not carry a Black gene. Sorrel/Chestnut can hide Agouti (Bay) and Silver, but not Black. Bay does carry at least one Black gene One of the parents had to be a mis marked Silver Bay.

Wish I had a nickel for every Silver Bay that is mis registered as a Sorrel/Chestnut.
This is the sire, Cross Countrys Call Me Sir....BAY pinto

CrossCountrysCallMeSir-1.jpg

This is the dam, Rose Buds Irish Rainmaker

Rosebud288.jpg

I would say the silver gene is carried by Call Me Sir since he produces quite a few silver bays.

A "Silver Bay" horse (homozygous for black) can throw only two types of color genes ...Black & Silver (assuming there are no other "hidden" color genes involved)

In addition to that, they can throw "agouti" which is the modifier that restricts the black to the lower legs, mane & tail and leaves the body red on a black based horse.

Now, if the Silver Bay is heterozygous for black, that means it also carries one copy of red as well as black, and can pass that on to it's foals, adding to the mix, the possibility of chestnut.

It's when you add completely different colors thru the mares, that you can get a large variety of colors on the foals.
default_yes.gif

Back