Color Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schutzandwhinnies

Reaction score
Our mare Barbie is in foal now and was bred to the same stallion that she was bred to last time. My question is would it be safe to assume that the foal would come out the same color as last time?

No absolutely not.

When I was breeding Arabs I bred the same mare to the same stallion seven times (AND she was closely related to him!!)

She has SEVEN different colours!!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Oh how exciting :aktion033: I wasn't sure and I was hoping for something other than grey, though he was a pretty, shiny, silver color. The stallion was a grey pinto (I think) he was mostly very light silver with just a bit of white down his back legs and tail. He was quite pretty. Our Barbie is all black with a long blaze and striped hooves. She has a bit of auburn color in her main in the summer. Heck she could be green and my daughter would love her.
default_yes.gif
: I have Barbie's paperwork, but not sure what all to look for. I looked up the website where her sire is and he is sure pretty, but he is all white. I've not seen her dam's photos. I am sure excited to see what's been kicking the snot out of her that last couple of weeks. She is at 347 days now.

Thanks for your input
default_yes.gif
:

If he really is a true grey... then no mater the colour of the foal at birth...there is a 50/50 chance that the foal will eventually turn grey as well. Then again, looking at it more positively...there is that same chance that it won't.
default_yes.gif
:

Our mare dancer is a pintolossa. She threw 2 solid colored foals so we figured she just didnt have strong spotting genes. Well this year to our shock and suprise she threw a bay pinto filly. Same sire as her first solid filly. You just never know!

IF the sire is homozygous for Gray, the foal will always turn Gray. IF either parent is homozygous for Black, the foal will always be Black based. There are so many IFs. Without genetic testing it is very difficult to tell with any degree of certainty. Even then, there is no genetic tests for Gray or Silver. I agree with Rabbitsfizz. The possibilities could be almost endless.

When predicting coat colors, the possibilities are endless, and fascinating.

Try this link Coat Color Calculator, and then see what the real color of the foal turns out to be in future!

We bred a sorrel pinto mare to a black pinto stallion, they produced a SOLID black filly. According to the Coat Color Calculator, there is only a 6% chance of that happening. And that's not taking into account the silver factor. This mare has produced several red roans in the past, too.

I agree. You never know what your going to get. I bred a mare back the same way 2 times. The first was a blue roan paint. The second was a grulla. You never know what your going to get with the mini's. As far as I can tell, from what little I know about the mini's, is you have every color gene in both parents, unless tested other wise. Crossing the same two horses you will never know what you will come up with. I'm sure in our Grandkids time (and I'm only 29), there will be more studies done, and they will have a better idea about breeding for different colors and know more about the colors in the mini's, but for now, you won't know until he or she is born.

Good luck. Can't wait to hear what you have
default_smile.png

~Gina

The guarantee with colors is if you breed a true sorrel (ee) to a true sorrel (ee) the foal will be a sorrel (ee); the red gene is the only one that can be passed on. [so if you breed a sorrel colored horse to another sorrel colored horse and get a silver dapple foal; one of those sorrel looking horses is actually a silver bay - this exact thing occurred in my mares pedigree].

Some of the things I see on her papers are "Blood Typed" and "DNA Tested" The blood typed is on her sire's paperwork and the DNA tested is on her dam's grandsires side??? Is there a website that has good explanation of this stuff? Then I can read and not ask so many questions
default_yes.gif
:

Some of the things I see on her papers are "Blood Typed" and "DNA Tested" The blood typed is on her sire's paperwork and the DNA tested is on her dam's grandsires side??? Is there a website that has good explanation of this stuff? Then I can read and not ask so many questions
default_yes.gif
:
That has nothing to do with color genetics, thats just confirming their dna to check if any foals are really from the listed parents.

default_yes.gif
:
The "Blood Typed" and "DNA Tested" references on the pedigrees are for the determination of parentage. I don't think they will reveal any information on colors. Those listed as "Blood Typed" have used a blood sample to test the DNA while those listed as "DNA Tested" have used a hair sample to determine DNA.

OOPS!!! Typing at the same time as Meavey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back