Color Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mock2Farms

Reaction score
I have finally decided that I have no idea what color Fanny May is after several years of owning her and have decided to test her.. She is registered as a silver dapple but I do not believe that she is. She is very mousey brown in person with a brown/flaxen mane & tail.

What would you test her for??? I was thinking cream, silver, &? Thoughts? Please excuse the horrible picture, she is about to pop!

465707_10151024439328755_249713834_o.jpg

The picture is too dark to tell her color.

Silver black (silver dapple) comes in many shades, so she might just be a silver black. What color are her parents?

Here is a different picture.. Sorry dont have very many on this computer.

Helps if I attach the picture

Fanny.jpg

From that picture, I'd say silver black (possibly smokey silver black, if either parent had cream).

You think? She so doesn't look silver in person. I will have to get a good picture.. She looks brown with no silver to her.. lol

She looks like a silver black to me; keep in mind that silver black can cover a wide range of body colors. Some are very dappled, some have no dapples at all. Some are quite black, especially at certain times of the year, some are more of a mousy grey/brown. Mane and tail can be anywhere from snow white to dirty grey/brown.

When I owned her I remember the lady I got her from telling me that she has the cream gene. I was sure she was smokey silver. Dapples are a type of countershading and aren't part of the silver gene.

Alright well I did originally think smokey silver black. Maybe I will just stick with that. I know that they do not all have to be dappled and can vary in color but she's one that has always made me wonder.

I guess it would just be easiest to test her for silver to know for sure!

I also think she's silver
default_yes.gif
Smokey silver black can look like "regular" silver dapple - to what my Destiny looks like, and anything in between;

Destiny%20Area%205%202006%203.jpg
:

Last edited by a moderator:
This was my boy, Tompkins Silverado, who was color tested as a Smokey Silver Black (carried the cream gene) and you can see the changes in his color at different times of the year and at different ages.

silverado1.jpg
silverado2.jpg

Looks to me like your girl might be the same. Best of luck foaling!!!
He is/was gorgeous.

I wouldnt test for silver alone as Im pretty certain she is silver , I would test for cream to see if she is silver smoky black

Alright the pictures have convinced me. I will test for cream if I do decide to test her now. Thanks guys.

Back