Color question to all you wonderful color people =)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayflowerfarm

Reaction score
One of my client's horses is the most unusual color and am hoping you can all help.

His father is a golden Palomino, the mother is a silver bay. He was registered as a buckskin, but is not =)

I don't have a picture on my camera of him, but I will try to get one next week.

If he had pink skin I would say he is an amber champagne, but he has black skin, light brown eyes (not amber, but not dark brown). His body is a golden color on his belly and hindend, and greyish (sooty) on his neck and chest. His mane and tail are golden color like his belly. He does have a dorsal stripe.

I didn't know if any of you "geneticists" might be able to tell me what his possibilities are!

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

My bet without seeing a picture is silver bay
default_smile.png

Kay

my guess would be a silver buckskin, or yellow dun if he has a dorsal but without one of the parents being dun I find this one to be highly unlikely. Pictures would be most helpful....

Grulla?

Just a complete guess - might not even be genetically possible and I can't quite picture what you are describing.

According to the color calculator, these are the possibilities. (without knowing if the parents are homozygous for anything)

Offspring Color Probability

[SIZE=14pt]21.88% - [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Silver Buckskin [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]21.88% - [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Silver Bay [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]16.67% - [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Palomino [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]16.67% - [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Chestnut [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]7.29% - [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Buckskin [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]7.29% - [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Bay [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]3.13% - [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Silver Smoky Black [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]3.13% - [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Silver Dapple [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]1.04% - [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Smoky Black[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]1.04% - [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Black [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator: