need advice on color of foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
Sire is a smutty buckskin roan

dam is a buttermilk buckskin

1st foal was a perlino

This foal is red like a sorrel but not super dark red but red and a red mane. He has a white muzzle (black skin on muzz) and white under his tail and slightly colored lighter legs

I told the hubby he might be a palomino and just starting off red but will turn later... maybe?

any chance either parent could carry silver ? (Im thinking silver bay)

No silver in either parent.

will get pics today in the daylight.

Do you know if either of the parents carry the red gene? Or if they are homozygous or heterozygous for the agouti (bay) gene?

Here he is! All 22 inch's of him!

Silver Maples Century Supreme

or Duke

Also I noticed that he walks in his tippy toes on the rear feets. Is this normal as far as them tendons being tight? Hopefully they will stretch!

100_4970.jpg

100_4977.jpg

100_4981.jpg

I would think definitely sorrel. Not sure of sorrel can carry the mealy gene or if that is strictly related to agouti, but maybe that is why he has the lighter muzzle etc., much like the Haflingers do??

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think the baby looks sorrell (+ very cute!). Congratulations
default_wub.png

Chestnut here too! That light muzzle is probably just the typical light "foal hair" that most have when first born (with the light legs, belly, etc).

I just looked back at pictures of one of our first foals, and he was about the same color with a light muzzle, too. I thought so, but verified. He grew up to be real pretty read with a light mane / tail and sabino roaning throughout -- sounds like possible with your baby, too, based on the parents.

threedayold-skipper-1.jpg

june82003-skipper-2.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Heres the next ?

Is he chestnut or sorrel?

That way I can register him correctly.

Every red based(with no other color modifiers to turn it to something else) foal born here in the 16 years I was raising minis was registered as a sorrel...the shade didn't matter. The only defining factor for me, was to add appaloosa, pinto etc. after it for the pattern. I never used sorrel or chestnut as a defining shade of "red", I just never used the term chestnut. Not sure why, I just never did. To me, any red horse no matter the shade, was a sorrel. I have read and been told that sorrel is a more "western" term, whereas chestnut is a more "English" term.

After you asked this question, I did actually go to equinecolortesting.com to see what they say, as I figured they would use the proper terminology, but they gave reference to BOTH sorrel and chestnut as well, so obviously, it's "all good".
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Mona, that's exactly what I was going to say. English people will use the term Chestnut and Western people will use the term sorrel.

Either way, he's a cute foal MindyLee. Congratulations.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back