Color Question -- Have You Had Foals Born This Color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
A friend mentioned to me it's possible our new filly could be silver dapple, and another thought maybe red dun (but she's not, no dorsal). I have seen palominos born dark...

I was wondering if any of you have had foals born the color of Bliss who turned out to be anything other than sorrel (which I love but am curious). And if you have had them turn out to be a different color, what color did they turn out to be?

The dam is silver dapple and the sire is a greying grullo. Both dam and sire have it w/in their genetic back ground to possibly carry cream dilute, but I've never had either tested.

Thanks for any insights!!!

Bliss-Newborn---03292010-034.jpg

Bliss-Newborn---03292010-051.jpg

Bliss-Newborn---03292010-136.jpg

New pics added of her at 4 days old out in the sun...

Bliss---4-days-old----04022010-055.jpg

Bliss---4-days-old----04022010-034.jpg
Bliss---4-days-old----04022010-048.jpg

Bliss---4-days-old----04022010-001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
2 years ago I had a filly born a funny red and by winter she had gone palomino. I body clipped her as a yearling and she looked silver dapple. This winter she looks palomino with silver undercoat. I call her my horse of many colors.

Jill, I think your new filly (very pretty, btw!
default_wub.png
) is red based. She could be chestnut hiding silver, or possibly even palomino if her sire carries cream. Or she could turn grey since her sire is grey. You might want to color test for grey, cream and silver. That would answer a lot of questions!

Jill, Lexus, who is also silver dapple, had a beautiful chestnut filly last year (Briar). Royal is a smutty bucksin. The chance (according to the color calculator) of having a chestnut foal was 6.25%. She has stayed a gorgeous chestnut. I've never seen a foal born chestnut and change (unless going grey); I've never seen a silver black horse a deep red chesnut like that (doesn't silver hide/not express itself on red-based horses?).

Unless she is hiding some type of silver gene in her she looks chestnut too me. I had a filly that was a by a black and a silver bay turned sorrel but you could just see she had silver in her. I have also seen some chestnuts do clip out silver dapple. I don't think she shows any dilute but maybe possibly silver.

Oh yes indeed! You may remember Scarlet. Looked sorrel, had EVERYONE telling me she's sorrel, I was so disappointed because I'd gotten a sorrel out of two palominos (which is entirely possible, just not what I was hoping for) so I named her Scarlet and registered her as sorrel. She's now as golden of a palomino as there is. NO question!! Had her tested just to make sure.
default_wink.png
One copy of cream.

Here she is at 13 days:

scarlet13daysleftside.jpg

Funny thing is when you first posted pics of your baby I immediately thought of Scarlet because I knew you were in the same boat! She is palomino and got her cream gene from her daddy!
default_wub.png

Jill- You know I think she's beautiful no matter what color! BUT you know how much I LOVE palominos....... I will be watching Miss Bliss!

My very first foal was by a buckskin and out of a silver dapple and was born sorrel. But when she was older and clipped out, she was actually silver bay.

Since Silver does not show on Red base, she could easily have Silver and show no sign at all.

BUT she does look as if there is something else going on so you are just going to have to test her!!!
default_wink.png

I think there are two possibilities here,

1) she is Palomino

2) she is going Grey.........OK, OK, three possibilities....

3) she is Palomino going Grey
default_laugh.png

What she is not is Sorrel showing Silver, as Sorrel just does not show Silver, I wish it did, it would be so much easier if it did, but it doesn't.
default_smile.png

What ever color she is..... she is beutiful.. Look at that pretty little head ! looks like a good cross to me
default_wink.png

Linda k

How can she be a palomino? I don't think it's possible to get a palomino with a silver dapple and a grullo...is it? But she could be chestnut and that's what I'm sticking to
default_biggrin.png

I don't think it's possible to get a palomino with a silver dapple and a grullo
If the sire or dam is a smoky black, it is possible, and I think she said the sire might be a smoky grulla. (?)

I would test the sire just to be sure...too bad he is gray...although I do love the looks of a gray horse, I wouldn't want the possiblity that a large portion of my foals to go that colour; I am such a sucker for colour.

Thanks for the insight folks!

I love greys, but she doesn't have light around her eyes at all (not even a few hairs) and so far, out grey foals have had this.

Matt, it's possible that either Hope or DunIT carry the cream gene. Hope could be smokey silver black. DunIT could be smokey grullo grey. We have sooooo much dilute here, I just never bothered to have either of them tested for cream. I will probably have this foal tested though.

She really reminds me a lot of DunIT as a foal but a more feminine head (go figure). She is a ball of fire, too!!!

Jill,

One of her parents would have to be a dilute to produce a dilute. Like a grey, if they are not that color, they can not produce that color. The sire may be a smoky black. Are either one of his parents a dilute?

I have a chestnut yearling colt that is a funky color chestnut. Really pretty, but his mane and tail are turning white. So, he is a flaxen chestnut.

Perhaps your baby is one too.

She might be that kind of chestnut. I think that's very likely. I know one of the parents would have to be carrying cream for her to be palomino (we have so much dilute, knowing that is one of my things). I just am wishing now I'd have thought to test Hope and DunIT to see if either carries it (ie Hope may be smokey silver black like our Destiny and/or DunIT may be smokey grullo grey). For sure if Bliss tests positive for cream, I will be motivated to see who's hiding what
default_biggrin.png

Well, she's a pretty girl, no matter what colour she is
default_wink.png
I'm a magnet for chestnuts; my hunter and my jumper were chestnuts way back when. Then I get a chestnut filly out of a silver black mare, by a buckskin. Go figure. I have a soft spot for my fiery red-heads
default_wub.png

My silver bay gelding was born looking like that-RED. It wasn't until his mane and tail started growing out that the silver showed...

Lucy

Jill,

I'd just bet money that she is palomino. I've always had a gut feeling that Dun It was carrying cream (and it's possible momma is too), so I think she has cream also. Just my 2 cents obviously with no facts to back that up. Just my thoughts. Regardless, she's very, VERY pretty!

Congrats on your gorgeous baby girl!

Her color.... looks chestnut to me.. but we all know how they trick us...

Moose, my first mini... looks like a pally at certain times of the year.

Having a flaxen mane /tail only makes her look even more pally..

She tested no-cream... but in the summer.. she REALLY looks pally....

Imagine my surprise when her first baby was a dun!! and so was her next baby...

Little John is NOT a dun. Moose has no dorsal.... but she is throwing duns. Moose's sire

is a dun and I beleive Moose is too, even without a dorsal... she is clearly diluted.

So.. maybe your baby is a red dun.
default_smile.png

What ever color.. she's a doll.

~Sandy

Latest posts

Back