Color Question -- Have You Had Foals Born This Color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the insight, folks! I appreciate all the perspectives and ideas
default_yes.gif

Jill, lots of grey foals don't have white around their eyes until they shed their foal coat - or even later! My grey Arb mare didn't have a grey hair until she was 4 years old!

I haven't really heard of a true grulla "going gray". I wonder if that is the true color of the stallion.

Has anyone else heard of that? I love grullas and have a grulla stallion so I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

DunIT is truly a grullo who has greyed. Absolutely any color can turn grey if the horse has inherited the grey gene from one or both parents. His dam is a greyed silver appaloosa and his sire is a buckskin pinto. He has passed along dun factor and grey to various foals he's sired for us. Here's are baby pictures of him where his dun and black genes are much more visible:

DunIT%204-3-05%20046%20--%20cropped.jpg

DunIT--%20newborn%20--%201.jpg

PS know that the only way a horse can carry the grey gene and go grey is if it has a grey parent. DunIT's dam is a gorgeous grey National Champion grand daughter of Egyptian King (from whom she got her grey gene I would imagine). She also is dam to a very striking Res. National Champion non-greying grullo stallion, Erica's Smoke Rings In The Dark. If your horse does not have a grey parent, there is no chance he will turn grey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep-a true grullo/a can also be a true gray. Having a dun gene would no inhibit the gray gene. It just depends on what kind of genes the sire and dam have and what they pass along. That's why there are SO many different colors and patterns out there...a lot of mixing!

Hey thanks. You are all a wealth of information. Colors are very fasinating aren't they!lol

No gray parents here, I always thought gray couldn't hide so thanks again.

Oh, just so no hard feelings, not trying to say DunIt wasn't a True grulla/o. Just trying to get this color scheme in my head!

default_biggrin.png

No problem at all and I understand...
default_yes.gif

I had one really "interesting" foal here that was an eye opener to me. The parents were a silver buckskin dun with appy characteristics and the sire "looked" like a sorrel blanketed appy though now we figure he must have been a smokey silver black appy. The baby was a perlino double cream dilute! That was enough to throw me for a loop but then years later through this site, I learned that in addition to the two doses of the cream gene, that filly could also carry (but not exhibit due to the double dilute camouflage): dun, silver and appy!!! She was our first filly and we'd bought the mare in foal as a pet. I no longer own either but she was kind of a brain teaser in the color department and part of what got me more interested in horse colors
default_yes.gif

Since the thread is active again, I did want to add a few more pictures of Bliss out in the daylight. She is the same color as a horse I own who turned out to be a light palomino in short order! So I may have to color test this little girl... And then if she does come back with cream, mom and dad, too, to see who's hiding it!

Bliss---4-days-old----04022010-055.jpg

Bliss---4-days-old----04022010-034.jpg
Bliss---4-days-old----04022010-048.jpg

Bliss---4-days-old----04022010-001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a filly a few years ago who was a dapple grey. The breeder sent me baby pictures of her and I was sure they were of a different foal. It looked just like your foal,solid chestnut or perhaps sorrel. She assured me it was her and even had pictures of her nursing. When she clipped her just before I bought her at 6 months,she was a dark dapple grey. Her Mom was dapple grey and her Dad was called a chocolate palomino He was a funny golden chocolate color with mane and tail just slightly lighter. I will see if I can find those pictures. The breeder told me that as she started shedding her foal coat,around her nose and eyes and on her legs showed the darker color first.

Latest posts

Back