Color help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
I finally clipped my yearling. This was her first clip job ever. So.......I'm trying to figure out what color she is. Dam is a Bay Varnish Roan Pinatloosa and Sire is a grulla. She is a dun of some type with lineback, leg barring, darker face, guard hairs on her mane, BUT is she bay, grulla or buckskin? She has a lot of golden tint to her hair.

Newborn:

sara05.jpg

Week old

sara10.jpg

Winter wool (and very dirty)

sara16.jpg

Clipped

sara19.jpg

Three time's the charm? I also say bay dun. The dun factor can / does lighten the body which is maybe why you wonder if she could be buckskin dun. But to my eyes, she's too dark to be cream dilute + dun. To be grulla, she'd have to be black plus dun so the shade is way off to be that color.

Correct term is, Yellow Dun...but either way that is she is and a beauty to boot.
default_yes.gif

Hi, I recently had a horse with this type of color. The horse was color test and turned out to be silver gurllo. He has a odd colored body and black mane and tail. Very rare I think

I will say bay dun as well, instead of grulla/grullo because her coat has a golden brown tint to it, not all black (and it doesn't look sunbleached, too extensive for that).

Andrea

Back