Color help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

minimule

Reaction score
I finally clipped my yearling. This was her first clip job ever. So.......I'm trying to figure out what color she is. Dam is a Bay Varnish Roan Pinatloosa and Sire is a grulla. She is a dun of some type with lineback, leg barring, darker face, guard hairs on her mane, BUT is she bay, grulla or buckskin? She has a lot of golden tint to her hair.

Newborn:

sara05.jpg

Week old

sara10.jpg

Winter wool (and very dirty)

sara16.jpg

Clipped

sara19.jpg

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Three time's the charm? I also say bay dun. The dun factor can / does lighten the body which is maybe why you wonder if she could be buckskin dun. But to my eyes, she's too dark to be cream dilute + dun. To be grulla, she'd have to be black plus dun so the shade is way off to be that color.

Shari

Reaction score
Correct term is, Yellow Dun...but either way that is she is and a beauty to boot.
default_yes.gif

Equine Xpress

Reaction score
Hi, I recently had a horse with this type of color. The horse was color test and turned out to be silver gurllo. He has a odd colored body and black mane and tail. Very rare I think

disneyhorse

Reaction score
I will say bay dun as well, instead of grulla/grullo because her coat has a golden brown tint to it, not all black (and it doesn't look sunbleached, too extensive for that).

Andrea