Curly Miniature yearling!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiologyBrain

Reaction score
We’re getting a Curly miniature yearling filly! We already have a 13-3HH Curly mare, a 12-2HH Curly gelding, & we’re now getting a Curly Miniature filly. She’s from the same Ranch as our other mare (the gelding was bought from there too, but he was a rescue of theirs, not a homebred horse). Her dam is a 40-41” and I think her sire might be a bit bigger, but not by much. He is a Curly, but the dam is not. The filly is definitely Curly! Anyway, we’re really excited & I thought I’d share here since I’ll likely be coming here for advise and to tell stories! I think her dam is a red (bay) roan & her sire is a buckskin. She is the spitting image of her sire. The breeder thinks she’ll be about 40-41” tall too. I’m hoping to get her a hyper bike when she gets older/bigger! I’m sending the gelding off for driving training soon. I love to drive!

1B1B15F7-9439-42A6-854B-F96C27AD10BD.jpeg
Annie Oakley—the mini filly we’re getting

427B020D-1097-409C-BC9B-8F33B40B8219.jpeg Annie mutual grooming with her sire

7B9790BE-2CA2-40FD-98EC-D3920AB2CDC5.jpeg

Her dam

She is the first Curly min/small pony this breeder has bred. I’d be interested to speak with that other breeder though. I can’t wait until she’s big enough to break to drive! I’m bummed that my gelding at 12-2HH is too big for a hyperbike, but she should be just right! She just got halter trained today. Here she is with her breeder/seller/trainer. We’re so excited!

35A612B9-8D86-4567-806B-2C6E96A74008.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We breed the odd miniature curly. My stallion is 38" but hes been throwing smaller that are staying under 38 well under in some cases.
This is my stallion Skipper with the little girl who has him leased. He absolutely loves her.
He is Skip A Star bred. And was unbeaten at driving until and injury sidelined him

Attachments

• received_370421810178835.jpeg
    received_370421810178835.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 9
We breed the odd miniature curly. My stallion is 38" but hes been throwing smaller that are staying under 38 well under in some cases.
This is my stallion Skipper with the little girl who has him leased. He absolutely loves her.
He is Skip A Star bred. And was unbeaten at driving until and injury sidelined him

So is your stallion Curly or do you just occasionally breed to Curly mares?

Our filly’s sire is named Gunsmoke & he carries the curly gene. He was trained to drive but I don’t think he’s been shown.

Here’s another photo of her sire, Gunsmoke. Her owner says our filly is his spitting image.

Attachments

• 2D8F9990-F631-4522-BD4F-D9C61D04CB33.jpeg
    2D8F9990-F631-4522-BD4F-D9C61D04CB33.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 9
So is your stallion Curly or do you just occasionally breed to Curly mares?

Our filly’s sire is named Gunsmoke & he carries the curly gene. He was trained to drive but I don’t think he’s been shown.

Skipper is curly. Hes 3/4 Miniature 1/4 Curly and carries one copy of the Dominant Curl gene.
I have only bred him to miniature mares and had fairly good success with the curls. Others breed a lot of mares and only get curl occasionally. It is a crap shoot as to curl or not.

I know Gunsmoke well. It was so sad his owner past away and her husband had to disperse most of her breeding stock.

The curlies are really awesome and open up horses for so many people who normally would not be able to be around them.

I have one other curly at the moment shes my Nieces 11.2 HH Riding Pony. Shes hopefully in foal to an AMHR/ASPC stallion for an NSPPR foal this May.

Latest posts

Back