Color help.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
My new filly arrived yesterday, she's lovely and has a beautiful trot!

Anyway, she has such different coloring, she has pink skin around with molting around her eyes, nose and she has pick skin with black dots on the inside of her legs and no known appy's in her background. She has a lot of grey from her "Michigan's" back ground. Her dam was a palomino and her sire

a grey. She is a pretty sorrel/white pinto. Here are some so so pictures, she is still really shy and nervous so I couldn't get very good pictures. But maybe they will give ya an idea?

Thanks in advance..............................sorry they are so huge!!

pictures017.jpg

pictures016.jpg

pictures015.jpg

First of all, she looks like a silver bay to me, cause her body coat color is so dark, and not palamino and her mane is so white......

Since grey can cover any coat color, if her parent was grey, and there is grey in her pedigree for several generations, it could have been hiding appy color. I am sure many more can help you better. Would be great to see parents' pictures, and a full picture of her. And her mottling surely does look appy!

She definately looks appy to me. Maybe even a silver bay, but it would help more to see full body shots of her.

no known appy's in her background.
Take that with a grain of salt.
default_rolleyes.gif
: :lol: :lol:

My best appy-producer, has "no known appy's in her background", either...but there surely are a lot of greys and roans out of nowhere too...
default_wink.png
:

Methinks ya got an appy there...for sure, but as for the colour, she could deffinately be a pally. She is that same dark red/gold, with white mane and tail, of a colt I registered several years ago as a silver chestnut, (Yup, the AMHA allowed it!) and he sired a cremello colt, out of a buckskin mare. Soooo obviously I was wrong, and he is a very dark palomino, almost exactly like your mare. His legs were very light though; if you mare's legs are dark, or smutty, it is possible she is silver bay.

:aktion033: Beautiful picture of a beautiful mare!
default_wub.png
:

Hard to tell, with the legs being white-n-all, whether there is any silver going on. Only way to KNOW...would be to test her for both silver and cream. Velly interestink... :bgrin

Well.....she is DEFINITELY not a Palomino. (but I think YOU said she was sorrel & white anyway...it's her dam who was a Palomino ) I do believe she is a Silver Bay, as her forelock is very silvery-white coming out of a "colored" area.
default_yes.gif
:

She certainly looks to have Appy traits....and as others have said, Appy can hide very well on gray'ed out colors.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
im so glad shes there!!! i took that body shoot of her
default_smile.png
i think im getting better at pictures LOL. She is a beautiful mare!! we discussed her color a lot and many that I talked to said the silver gene also causes mottling. Her sire is silver not grey. I definately think shes silver

You took beautiful shots of her. Are you for hire? LOL

I'm also wondering though, why is her skin pink around her eyes?

My silver bay and dapple have dark skin...............
default_wacko.png
:

I didnt read the other responses so this may have been said already but she doesnt look palomino at all looks to be a silver bay and a VERY nice one. Silver somtimes can cause what appears to be mottling. i have had a couple of silver horses with it as well

Latest posts

Back