Color help on yearling colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad for mini's

Reaction score
I've posted him awhile ago but can't find the post and don't remember what kind was mentioned. His mother ( Aspiration Acres Honey Reg. # A 157347 ) is a very light palomino, I don't believe she had any pinto markings and his sire is a golden palomino with a nice blaze ( Canterbury Solid Gold Toy # A 147241 ). I don't think there are any pinto's in the background of the sire or mother but don't know for sure. If not, could someone tell me how he would have gotten the blue eyes and wierd patches of white? I am starting to wonder if the sire is who they said he was. Should I be worried ? He is registered with A and R.

Any way he is a light palomino with a few odd white markings( 3/4 front stocking, white around his mouth and an off set star) and the bluest eyes w/black eye liner. I also found a few small patches of white on his belly. Thanks !

pberandcasp3.jpg

forumpinto2.jpg

forumpinto4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those facial markings could be the result of sabino, but the dark rimmed blue eyes make me suspect frame. I would certainly test him for sure! As to the parents, had the colt been DNA'd and PQ'd?? That will tell you form sure.

YUP he is a palomino pinto.

His sire must have been a pinto as well because ALL white markings (face white, socks, etc) are caused by one of the pinto genes. Leg white could be caused by several different patterns, but face white and blue eyes are always overo. So your boy sounds to me like a frame, but could be splash as well.

Horses with minimal white such as your boy's sire are often mistakenly referred to as solids, and because of the registry's color definitions, a horse with white markings has to be pretty loud to get itself registered as a pinto. But it is a dominant gene, so there must have been "pinto in the sire's background" but all it needed to be was a start or a sock for the genes to be there. This is how the big horse world gets what they call "cropouts." They believe it's a pinto from two solid parents, but there really is no such thing, it's just a baby who came out louder than its parents.

Haha I would not be worried, the sire is most likely who he is (a blue eyed offspring from a blazed parent would not make me suspicious personally), blue eyed horses don't always need a blue eyed parent, just one to carry an overo pattern.

I love your boy's color by the way, blue eyes and eyeliner, my weakness.
default_wink.png

-just wanted to add I just looked up your boy's sire and he is rowdy bred...rowdy is a known frame carrier.

Thanks so much for your help. I was starting to get worried about losing his papers if the sire turned out to be different. The only pictures I could find of horses on his registration papers did not look pinto to me. I guess I don't need to worry about it though. It is amazing how genetics work, the mare was rebred the same way and had another palomino colt but no blue eyes from what I could see in pics.

Thanks Love Casper, His blue eyes just makes me melt every time I look at him and I think the eye liner really sets them off. He is a real sweetie too.
default_wub.png

Congratulations, you have an overo colt. Chances are the sire carried the overo gene. That's one of the fun things about breeding overos, you may have a solid horse but with a little research and lookings for markers you end up with an overo.

And here I've been looking for a nice overo, I didn't realize I had one in my yard the whole time.
default_wacko.png
I would really like one with a little more color but Caspian with his blue eyes are enough for now.

Adding a photo of his eye. I love the shade of blue they are.

Caspy2.jpg

There is no "overo gene" sorry.

Overo is a nonsense term used to describe three patterns, none of which have any genetic relationship to each other.

OK, off soapbox.

The colt has pinto markings, the sire has pinto markings.....these things are hereditary, so, he got his markings from the sire, in this case.

He looks to have Splash, and I would most certainly test for Frame if he is not being gelded, and I would test anyway from curiosity, if you have $25.00 spare!!!

Thanks Rabbitsfizz, the next time I have a little cash just sitting around I may have him tested although I've already had him gelded. I was more curious as to if his sire was the correct one since to me he did not appear pinto, the blue eyes are what threw me off the most. I just wanted to be sure that I would have no problems with his paperwork down the road.

Thanks to everyone that spent the time to look up his pedigree. The pinto gene is really interesting ! Just wish I could understand it
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back