Color help needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferin

Reaction score
We got another 1 of our 5 clipped today. We're happy with what was under all that hair but are confused on what color she is. She has appy characteristics (mottling, striped hooves, etc.) and you can see on her butt that she has some black spots. When she was born she was completely black. Coalby's sire is Landrys Daddy Warbuck, a chestnut appy, and her dam is Heritage Total Eclipse, a solid black mare. Her grandparents are chestnut appy, chestnut appy, grey appy, and chestnut. Any help with her color would be appreciated!

As a baby with her dam

Coalbyandmom.jpg

Coalby's sire, owned by Heritage Farms

Warbuck.jpg

Her sire's parents

warbuckcollage.jpg

Coalby this winter

PICT0311-2.jpg

PICT0205-2.jpg

Today after clipping

PICT0201-2.jpg

PICT0203-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not good at appy colors, but I would call her a blue roan appy at this point (but I don't know if I'd be correct!).

My *loud* red leopard gelding, Appy Hollow Jack of Diamonds, is a grandson of Landry's Daddy Warbuck and son of Heritage Warbucks Impressum. So, I am thinking that we own cousins! And that we've got that matched set of buckskin girls as well
default_wub.png
:

Many times appaloosas will start out solid and get their spots later in life. It looks like that is what is happening with your filly. What a nice surprise for you!

If i would take a guess at what color she is i would say she is a black varnish appy. We have a half sister to her and she would look just about like this if I would clip her. Appys do weird things. Some take longer than others to spot out. Coalby probably will spot out more and more. She is a pretty horse, wow i can't believe how much she looks like her half sister. Aubrey

What a very pretty appy filly you have there!! I am not sure if she is a blue roan or a black with appy roaning, but I am pressing more toward black with appaloosa roaning starting and she has spots! If her roaning continues it may be varnish but a parent has to be a varnish roan for that...so I suspect this is simply appaloosa roaning characteristics coming alive! wooo how pretty!!!

Neither parent appears to be Roan, and she has white in the head area already, so she can only be Appy "roan".

She may get lighter- but she may also stay this murky colour, it is hard to say.

Appy patterns are very much the luck of the draw!!

Latest posts

Back