Color help, lots of pics!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baydreamfarms

Reaction score
We are getting ready to do the registration papers for my filly and I'm confused as to her color. If you had asked me 2 weeks ago...hands down bay. But then she started showing some roaning as she was shedding out. Then the weather got so hot and humid and nasty we shaved her. And now I'm confused. Her legs aren't solid black and that is where the confusion lies. If she were a bay roan she would still have black legs correct? The breeder also has a bay roan welsh mare and she is the redish brown roan, nothing like my filly. To me she almost looks grullo or blue roan but I have no clue.

Her sire is registerd black and def is black. And her dam is a red and white pinto roan. So can anyone tell me what to register my baby as?

100_1937.jpg

100_1933.jpg

And after clipping her I noticed some spots on her legs, she hasn't been injured at all so that isn't it. But it almost appears as appy tick marks.

100_1927.jpg

100_1931.jpg

And here is a pic of her leg so show that her legs really aren't black, are they?

100_1932.jpg

Here is what she looked like before she was clipped

100_1885.jpg

100_1787.jpg

I hope I don't sound silly in asking for help, but all my other horses have been open and shut color wise.

I'm thinking bay roan. She's definitely bay, and she is definitely roaning.
default_yes.gif
Maybe she's still too young for her black legs to be coming in black yet?

Oh, the reason she clipped out looking black is, many bay foals do look black when clipped, but her bay color is (almost) certainly sure to come back in as her hair grows. Can't say for absolutely certain because minis don't always follow what is accepted, lol!

I would guess bay roan looking at your photos - here is one of our mares Twila clipped at a show and as a foal. I don't have any current ones (as usual!).

twila_4-4-04_3.jpg
twila__5_3_02.jpg

I thought she was bay roan, but wasn't sure due to the legs. Thanks guys. I think she is beautiful no matter what color she is. I just wish I did a better clip job with her. It had been a long time since I have clipped a horse and I have never clipped a mini.

Michelle your filly is beautiful! JuneBug isn't as rich of a bay as your little girl, but your girl is gorgeous

She is definitely a Bay Roan.....sometimes it takes a while before the legs darken to black.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back