COLOR EXPERTS....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To my understanding, a horse with black points absolutely cannot carry silver, or it would show, turing the mane and tail to a light color.

I bred a black and a bay and got a sorrel.....I am 100% positive of the parentage.

I bred the sorrel to a bay with some dun traits and got this filly. Again, 100% positive of parentage.

This filly looks like a silver apple to me. What in the world happened here?? :new_shocked: She does not have any dun traits that I can see yet. She is 16 days old now and still looks like she did in these half day old pics.

Rubyeat_filly.jpg

Hi Kim!!

Do you have photos of the parents?

Well, I am baffled....lol. Duane's (I am thinking you called him Rummy, can't remember..lol) dam is a bay and his sire is a sorrel pinto Buckeroo son. I hope someone else has some ideas???? Anyone????

WOW!!! i have nooo idea what the heck happened there. I was thinking maybe the filly's dam (the sorrel) was possibly hiding the silver gene, but looking at her parents, she can't have that!!!!! then i was thinking she was grey, but none of the others seem to carry that, so probably not. given that sorrel mare and the bay stallion, i would have expected the filly to be black bay or sorrel. but this = ??????? CRAZY. :new_let_it_all_out:

oh, and then i was thinking maybe she is sorrel or black, but that pesky foal coat is covering it all. BUT THEN WHY HAS SHE GOT A WHITE MANE AND TAIL?????? she kind of looks grullo to me JMO. she probably can't be that either. not sure. i don't know much about grullo.

man, this has me so confused. anyone else care to take a guess?
default_please.gif
:
default_giveup.gif
:

I think the sorrel mares sire is the "ringer" here- do you have pictures of him without his jammies on??

I think the sorrel mares sire is the "ringer" here- do you have pictures of him without his jammies on??
What is a ringer?

This is for sure a thread I'm going to follow. I do not know how what surely looks like a silver dapple filly came from that background and I want to learn!

Jill I think I may have used an incorrect word there- I do that occasionally, my mind just freezes up :bgrin - anyhoo, what I meant was the "odd one out, the one that will prove to be hiding the secret" so, if you can give me the word for that, or even the phrase, I would be grateful
default_yes.gif
:

PS "ringer" is used in racing to mean a horse borught in, illegally to run in place of another- an exact lookalike. That is NOT what I was implying!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
:saludando: In the mystry world he would be the "red Herring" . A clue that hides itself or not a clue bit pretends it is to lead everyone astry.

Jill I think I may have used an incorrect word there- I do that occasionally, my mind just freezes up :bgrin - anyhoo, what I meant was the "odd one out, the one that will prove to be hiding the secret" so, if you can give me the word for that, or even the phrase, I would be grateful
default_yes.gif
:

PS "ringer" is used in racing to mean a horse borught in, illegally to run in place of another- an exact lookalike. That is NOT what I was implying!!!
I gotcha
default_smile.png
That darn language barrier again -- English vs. American :lol:

No, this time it was just down to me getting up too early!! :lol:

Back on topic- I do think the "problem" however we wish to couch it, is in the "bay" in the blanket- can we see pictures of the whole horse- unless of course he really is blue
default_rolleyes.gif
:

What was the sire to that buckskin colt? I'm just wondering if that black mare is really black, or is she a dark liver chestnut? My first impression from that photo of her was liver. But of course if the buckskin colt's black based color came from his mother, my impression cannot be right. :lol:

Otherwise I agree, there may be something going on there with that bay stallion--I too would like to see a better photo of him, without his blanket.

Seeing the nickname above this jogged my memory on something...

Isn't there a silver purebred morgan??? I think I remember reading about him/her a couple years ago? And out of apparently non-silver parents. It was like it just was created in him/her. I wish I had a better memory!!! I guess what I'm wondering is if sometimes can genes come together and create something that wasn't there before? Because if I am remembering this all correctly, this individual morgan was the first to show any signs of silver in the breed.

Oh, I just went to the Equine Color site. Check out the silver page. There's a picture of the morgan I must have been remembering and also a silver QH where only the TAIL is muted. The legs are coal black......

http://www.equinecolor.com/silver.html

I don't see silver in any of the parents!

True the sorrel dam may be hiding the gene, but this certainly is a mystery as to HOW she got it!

I would PQ the foal for sure, JUST for my own knowledge and assurance.

VERY STRANGE INDEED.

Actually Jill, that Morgans color didn't just happen; his sire was also a silver bay, and his maternal granddam a silver black--it's just that until he tested out to be a bay, no one ever thought those horses were anything but flaxen chestnuts. Once he sired a bay foal off a chestnut mare and he tested out to be a bay himself, then people looked back on his pedigree and looked at the horses there and realized that there was a whole line of silvers behind him.

I do love that stallion's color!

I think that stallion definately looks like a silver bay. Just at a different time of year. That would explain the silver filly. Oh, and a lovely filly.

I bred the sorrel to a bay with some dun traits and got this filly.
If the bay sire, is really a bay-dun...bred to a black mare...then the foal can very simply be, a grulla. Time will tell, of course. foal colours are so difficult to determine, I have learned to wait.
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin

The colt's sire is a perlino with dun, homozygous for black, cream (of course) and agouti.

The mare is true black with sunburned mane. I know she is black because she produced a black pinto colt by a grey (sorrel) pinto stallion.

What was the sire to that buckskin colt? I'm just wondering if that black mare is really black, or is she a dark liver chestnut? My first impression from that photo of her was liver. But of course if the buckskin colt's black based color came from his mother, my impression cannot be right. :lol:

Otherwise I agree, there may be something going on there with that bay stallion--I too would like to see a better photo of him, without his blanket.

Not sure I follow you.....the filly's sire is a bay with some dun traits....faint dorsal strip and silver strips on back of the fetlocks but the mare is sorrel. Does the foal have to be homozygous black to be grulla or can it get black from one parent and be grulla? Either way it wouldn't apply here because I shaved a spot on her back and there's no hint of a dorsal stripe.

I bred the sorrel to a bay with some dun traits and got this filly.
If the bay sire, is really a bay-dun...bred to a black mare...then the foal can very simply be, a grulla. Time will tell, of course. foal colours are so difficult to determine, I have learned to wait.
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin

The Perlino- what colours are his parents??

Silver can lurk in Red and, of course, DDs- sooo........

I'd still like to see pictures of the Bay undressed (I'm funny that way, humour me
default_yes.gif
: )

WOW. That is REALLY REALLY intresting! I would be Pqing the foal just to be sure! But I would like to really find out how that happened!

The Perlino- what colours are his parents??

Silver can lurk in Red and, of course, DDs- sooo........

I'd still like to see pictures of the Bay undressed (I'm funny that way, humour me
default_yes.gif
: )
My take in it is that the Perlino isn't related to her, it was just bred to that mare(who is related to her) and the foal was just in the picture at a diferent year!

Gage

Latest posts

Back