Color experts? Is this colt a buckskin? Grulla? Smokey Black?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seeing the tail I agree that Dun could be involved here. Dang karla ya need to pull some hair on that mare and test her LOL. She carries too many color genes

And the difference between black and smokey black is what?
Smokey blacks carry the cream gene, blacks do not, but there's no physical difference in appearance so only way to know is to pull hairs and test for cream..

Ok, so what if he's simply a dunskin? It's already been said that a few have thought the mare to be silver dunskin that's gone gray, so possibly the colt is as well..

Ok, so what if he's simply a dunskin? It's already been said that a few have thought the mare to be silver dunskin that's gone gray, so possibly the colt is as well..
Well--it was always ME who called her a dappled, flea-bitten, silver dunskin going gray... but everyone laughed. (Can you blame them?)
default_laugh.png
For me, it's what told of all she has.

I'll probably end up calling him a buckskin for his papers...or maybe I should wait until he's clipped and do a revote.
default_smile.png

My farrier--big horse guy--came today-and when I asked what color Tucker is, without hesitating he confidently said "buckskin!" When I told him the forum ideas--he thought grulla buckskin.

Gotta share--first visit for the foals. I had them stalled and haltered. Mazie stood nicely--a little fight on one back leg--but that was it. Tucker was sleeping--not flat out, so he checked the hooves showing and Tucker didn't move. So, he gentely pushed him over and I scratched his belly--and all four hooves were checked with no fuss.
default_laugh.png
THAT was the easiest farrier visit I've ever had.
default_laugh.png
Neither foal needed anything this time though... I'm sure there will be more excitement in 4 weeks.
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My farrier--big horse guy--came today- Tucker was sleeping--not flat out, so he checked the hooves showing and Tucker didn't move. So, he gentely pushed him over and I scratched his belly--and all four hooves were checked with no fuss.

LOL! This reminds me of what they told me about trimming babies' fingernails. "If you can, do it while they are asleep!" So-o-o much easier!
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back