Color experts I need some help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
She has black AND white skin and black and white markings around her butt. She is pure white. She was clipped I believe with a #10. She also has an orange haze to her coat. What color testing do you think I should have done on her?

Diamond

694b_med.jpg

Diamonds Sire

600_Beau_1.jpg

Link to info on sire http://www.vermilyeafarms.com/ssdiamondsgoldenimage.html

Diamonds Dam

227_LittleOne-1-Framed.jpg

Link to info on dam http://www.vermilyeafarms.com/annaslittleonec.html

shes a full sister to Vermilyea Farms Good As Gold that is pictured on the dams web page looks just like her except for the blaze. You can see the black and white skin on this filly better than the picture I provided of Diamond.

THANK YOU! for any help you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot see the pictures, can you post a link?

The dam isn't Roan, she is Sabino or Dominant White, so the foal could be max expression......

Oh and clipping really does not help, have you any unclipped pictures?

I cannot see the pictures, can you post a link?

The dam isn't Roan, she is Sabino or Dominant White, so the foal could be max expression......

Oh and clipping really does not help, have you any unclipped pictures?
Jane, which horses can't you see? I've posted links for the sire and dam so if you need to see Diamond look at her dams web page and at the very bottom is a full sister she is marked just like her except with a bald face. I don't have any unclipped pictures. I just purchased her at the Double Diamond Sale on Saturday. What determines her dam being Sabino or Dominant White? I'm trying to learn...... THANKS Whit

whitney--just to clarify, Good as Gold is a stallion, not a filly--he's been showing in the Classic stallion classes all summer.
default_biggrin.png
He is being trained & shown by Leah Johnson. As I recall from the sale of the century catalogue he is a palomino, and I take your filly to be the same? Off of that parentage your filly has to be a sabino palomino (well, could be chestnut instead of palomino but if you're seeing a gold cast to her coat I would think she is palomino). The DD sale catalogue does list her as palomin. I suspect that the "white" coloring is actually a very light shade of palomino combined with sabino, which makes her appear white all over. The "black" spots would be just the dark spots that you see on some palominos--my 3 year old has them too. He was a very light color as a weanling and even yearling (for a long time we referred to him as "the white one") but now at age 3 he is a fair bit darker, though still not the deep gold I'd like him to be! With a palomino sire and a chestnut sabino mother your filly has to be red based.

Her dam is not a strawberry roan--roans have darker legs--her coloring is very typical of chestnut sabino. I wouldn't say she is dominant white? Looks very sabino roan to me.

Both her and her sibling look like very pretty palomino sabinos to me.

That pic of her sire is one of the few photos I've ever seen of a pony or mini that I've honestly mistaken for a big horse. So congrats on your girl!!
default_yes.gif

That is the problem with DW, it looks a lot like Sabino.

Luckily, you can test for it.

The pattern is not a problem, btw, it used to be thought to be lethal in some situations, but it is not.

Sorry Good as Gold. Just to clarify she has white and black SKIN but solid white coat.

Does pink skin mean white hair coat, and black skin mean palomino hair coat?

whitney--just to clarify, Good as Gold is a stallion, not a filly--he's been showing in the Classic stallion classes all summer.
default_biggrin.png
He is being trained & shown by Leah Johnson. As I recall from the sale of the century catalogue he is a palomino, and I take your filly to be the same? Off of that parentage your filly has to be a sabino palomino (well, could be chestnut instead of palomino but if you're seeing a gold cast to her coat I would think she is palomino). The DD sale catalogue does list her as palomin. I suspect that the "white" coloring is actually a very light shade of palomino combined with sabino, which makes her appear white all over. The "black" spots would be just the dark spots that you see on some palominos--my 3 year old has them too. He was a very light color as a weanling and even yearling (for a long time we referred to him as "the white one") but now at age 3 he is a fair bit darker, though still not the deep gold I'd like him to be! With a palomino sire and a chestnut sabino mother your filly has to be red based.

Her dam is not a strawberry roan--roans have darker legs--her coloring is very typical of chestnut sabino. I wouldn't say she is dominant white? Looks very sabino roan to me.

I think this is one you will have to test.

I just have to say I think you were very lucky whatever the colour she turns out to be, she is very pretty and the sire is a dream!

I think this is one you will have to test.

I just have to say I think you were very lucky whatever the colour she turns out to be, she is very pretty and the sire is a dream!
THANKS Jane,

I feel the same way. For a yearling (she should be in that ugly duckling stage, but, NOPE she is put together so smooth.....)This is the first ASPC/AMHR horse I've ever owned. She is just really calm. I will do all the fun stuff with her like halter, jumping and driving, and when she gets tired of all that Trystan and her will make a very interesting couple. The whole pinto pattern thing is really intriguing. Trystan is SOLID palomino. What test(s) should I do. Should I have Trystan tested he has no white at all.

Latest posts

Back