color breeding question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne ABC

Reaction score
We have always bred for conformation rather than color, so I am not so up on color breeding knowledge and I know we have some real color experts on this forum. Question for you.

I have a solid palomino stallion with a wee bit of smut on his rump. His sire is a nicely marked black/wht pinto and his dam is a solid grey. I have a solid sorrel mare from a solid sorrel stallion and a dun/wht. pinto mare with blue eyes. I feel the conformation of these two would compliment each other, but, was wondering if there is any chance they could produce markings?

default_wacko.png
: Oh, I have no foals from either of them to compare to. First year breeding for both.

If either the stallion or the mare have minimal white markings, they are capable of producing a loud marked foal. That does not mean they will, just that it is possible. The sire and dam of the stallion pictured in my avatar are both registered as Solid.

Thanks for responding. I don't see any markings at all on either the stallion (other than the smut mark on his rump, which I don't think is considered a marking) or the mare. Can they carry the gene if they don't exhibit any markings?

The horse in your avatar is very nice.
default_wub.png
:

Your horses could very possibly carry the pinto gene and therefore have a pinto foal, although it's not the best chance you'll get color. Do either have face markings or socks, I know a lot of people don't include that in "pinto" markings (even though they really are)?

i hope you dont mind but i have to point out that your stallion cannot be palomino if he has a black and white sire and a grey dam. In order to have Palomino one parent has to carry dilute. Now maybe cream is hiding on one of the parents???

There are a lot of minimal pintos that people mistake for solid horses. But normally there is white somewhere such as a white hock or a small white snip etc.

Keep in mind you can breed two wild colored pintos and get a solid. Its happened to me LOL

Kay, sorry but it would be unusual but not impossible.

Sire could be Smoky Black.

Grey could either be Grey - Sorrel + Grey or

Silver Black hiding Red

*[SIZE=8pt]sorry*[/SIZE]

Pinto cannot skip a generation.

Two genuinely solid parents cannot have a Pinto foal.

In order to get a Pinto foal one parent must be, at least, minimally marked.

A sock, a star, will do it but the marking has to be there.

rabbit no need to apologize. Maybe you didnt read my entire post. i did say unless the cream gene is hiding.

Last edited:
Hummmm..........now you have got me second guessing. Here is a photo of my stallion which I believe is a solid palomino, in this photo was as a yearling.

Chance.jpg

Chancespots3-1.jpg

The photo above he is coming three and shows his smutty hip mark that was visable this summer but is gone now???? I don't see any white on him anywhere.

This is the only photo I have of his sire

TalkoftheTown-1.jpg

I do not have a photo of his dam but will work on getting one.

Your guy does look palomino. I highly suspect his sire is a smokey black not a black.

I agree with KayKay.....your guy is most definitely a Palomino. Those smutty marks are common on them.

His sire DOES look like a Smokey Black....not a true black. So, even without knowing the true coloring of the dam...I would say the sire is who threw him the creme gene.
default_yes.gif
:

He also appears to be completely "solid". So barring any blue eyes or white markings somewhere that can't be seen on these photos....I highly doubt he inherited any pinto genes from his sire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do agree your guy is for sure palomino!

This is interesting to me. I have not ever seen that kind of smutty marking on a horse.

Latest posts

Back